Download UPSC Essay PDF Books for Mains
Are you looking for the Essay Writing books for UPSC? In this post, we share important UPSC Essay PDFs for upcoming mains exams.
We at JobsCaptain, try to give you maximum resources to crack UPSC Mains Essay Examination. Below shared all UPSC essay writing books are also useful for all state Public Services Commissions exams such as GPSC, BPSC, UPPSC, RPSC, MPSC etc.
First, let’s read the basic information:
Download UPSC Essay PDF
Let’s download UPSC Essay PDF Books for Mains Exam:
- Prabhat 145+ Essays for Civil Service Examinations PDF
- Modern Essays Book PDF by Arihant for UPSC
- Vision IAS Mains Essay 2022 PDF – Download
- QUOTE Book for UPSC Mains Answer Writing – Download PDF
- 151 Essays Arihant PDF Book for Civil Services Examination
- CSE (Mains) – Ethics & Essay Book PDF – Download
- UPSC Mains Essay Sample Paper – Open PDF
We hope above Essay Writing Books for UPSC/Civil Services Mains Exams and State PSC exam will help you in the upcoming examination.
- 10 Essay Writing Books PDF for Competitive Exams
- UPSC Main Essay Previous Year Paper with Answer PDF
- Indian History Related Essay/Descriptive Questions
Thank you for reading. Moreover, if you need any additional books for the UPSC mains exam then do comment below.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
[Download] DISHA’s Free E-Book for UPSC Mains & Essay Preparation! अबकी बार, IAS पार!
Essay writing, gs paper 1 – history, geography, society, gs paper 2 – polity, governance, and international relation, gs paper 3 – economy, environment, internal security, gs paper 4 – ethics, integrity and aptitude.
- Dear aspirants, your shortlisting for the UPSC IAS Interview will be based on your score in the IAS Mains exam scheduled to be held between September, 2019.
- The IAS Main exam is a complete subjective test where you have to appear in 5 tests – Essay Writing, GS 1, GS 2, GS 3 & GS 4.
- The essays/ questions in these tests evolve around your understanding of the various events, ideas & issues prevailing in India. Your success depends upon two aspects – your understanding and your ability to present your thoughts. Every examiner looks into your answer, to see how well you have grasped the topic. It is important, therefore, to arrange your ideas, facts or quotes in a systematic way. A well-presented answer compels the examiner to read through at a first glance.
- In this regard, we are pleased to present our free e-books to help you in this journey.
What is asked in the exam? You have to write essays on 2 Topics out of a list of 8 Topics, in 1000 – 1200 words, in 3 Hours. For example
- What are the major water disputes between states in India? Can a centralized approach help solve water disputes?
- What is the importance of higher education in 21st century and how can it make a difference in people’s social life?
- Do you think skilling the youth has become vital for tackling unemployment in India?
- Do you think it would be possible to sustain high growth in the long term without environmental care?
- What role do you see for India in changing global world order?
? Click me to download FREE ebook containing above topics
Further, our Essay book contains a comprehensive list of 121 essays to tackle all such essays for UPSC Exam. With the upcoming independence day, we are pleased to make our ebooks available starting at the attractive price of just 9 rupees !
What is asked in the exam? You have to write answers to 20 Questions, in 150/ 250 words (as mentioned against each question) in 3 Hours. For this, we are pleased to share with you an ebook containing following topics:
? Click me to download FREE ebook containing following topics/ chapters
- Tips on how to write the Best Answers to GS Paper 1 Questions
- 25 Most Important Topics for IAS Mains GS 2019 Paper-1
- Important Cultural sites and Monuments in India.
- Classical and Regional Dances of India.
- Hindustani, Carnatic and Regional music of India.
- Indian Architecture like- Indus Civilization, Buddhist Architecture, Temple Architecture, Indo-Islamic Architecture, Modern Architecture.
- Indian Sculpture – Indus Civilization, Buddhist Sculpture, Gupta Sculpture etc.
What is asked in the exam? You have to write answers to 20 Questions, in 150/ 250 words (as mentioned against each question) in 3 Hours.
- Tips on how to write the Best Answers to GS Paper 2 Questions
- 25 Most Important Topics for IAS Mains GS 2019 Paper-2
- Delegation by the legislators and disqualifying them by the Speaker.
- Contribution to Clean India Mission and Water Conservation by Local Government.
- Limit of expenditure set by the Election Commission.
- Gandhi’s views in the Indian Constitution.
- Right to Information.
- Tips on how to write the Best Answers to GS Paper 3 Questions
- 25 Most Important Topics for IAS Mains GS 2019 Paper-3
- Sustainable Development
- Universal Basic Income
- Important International Environmental Conventions and Conferences
- Environmental Pollution
- Biotechnology and Its Applications
What is asked in the exam? You have to write answers to 12 Questions, in 150/ 250 words (as mentioned against each question) in 3 Hours.
- Tips on how to write the Best Answers to GS Paper 4 Questions
- 20 Most Important Topics for or IAS Mains GS 2019 Paper-4
- Civil Service Values
- Moral Values and Obligations
- Conflict of Interest in different situations
- Ethical Conduct and Code of Ethics
- Approaches to deal with malpractices in public service/ administration
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
[Download] Disha Publication FREE Exclusive E-Books, Sample Chapters, Mock Tests &bSolved Papers for UPSC EPFO & IAS Prelim Exams
[Download] DISHA’s Exclusive FREE Content, MasterBooks & Current Affairs Learning E-Cards for UPSC Civil Services IAS/IPS Exam
[Download] Countdown to Prelims 2022 students ko DISHA ka amazing GIFT – Prelims 2022 RESOURCE BOOK – covering 620 pages of Current Affairs & Mock Tests + FREE Strategy Video & Sample Chapters from Disha UPSC Books
DISHA’s GIFT to UPSC Aspirants on 73rd Independence Day – Lucky Draw (Gifts worth Rs 25000/-) + Free 500 Pages Content + Free Sample Chapters + Upto 45% OFF on Disha Books
Vision IAS Essay Material Notes 2023 PDF
September 14, 2022
Fundamentals of Essay and Answer Writing by Anudeep Durishetty IAS PDF
Upsc civil services mains 2021 essay question paper pdf download.
January 8, 2022
UPSC Mains 2020 Essay Question Paper PDF
January 8, 2021
Vision IAS Essay Latest Value Added Materials PDF
December 31, 2020
Vision IAS Essay Latest Updated Complete Materials PDF
Receive the latest articles in your inbox.
Press ESC to close
Best Essay Books for UPSC: Perfect the Art of IAS Essay Writing
How is your UPSC preparation going on? To crack UPSC you can’t just be good at the subjects and take essay writing lightly. You will have to treat it as equal to the other subjects. This is something that can’t be mastered just by reading. Proper practise is needed to get your thoughts flowing with ideas to write during the time of the exam. That is why in this article we will recommend you some of the best essay books for UPSC. Read the article till the end to know all about the UPSC essay paper.
UPSC Essay Paper
This paper is the very first paper of the UPSC mains. The paper consists of two sections:
Each section has four topics. A candidate has to choose one topic from both the sections for essay writing. Each section carries 125 marks that make a total of 250 marks. The word count for each essay should be in the range of 1000-1200.
Essay Books for UPSC
Here some of the best essay books for UPSC:
Mastering Essay & Answer Writing by Dr Awdhesh Singh
This is from an expert which can be a great help for UPSC aspirants in essay writing as well as in answer writing. The book can be used for any other competitive exam where questions are of descriptive type. As the book is written by a former IRS officer you will be getting tips from his experience. The book also explains why candidates have to give an essay paper in the exam. This opens your mind and you will get a clear idea of what is expected from the candidates in IAS essay writing.
ESSAYS for Civil Services and Other Competitive Examination by Pulkit Khare
This book is from Arihant publication which is considered one of the best publications for educational books. The book contains many essays along with the suggested topics which are very similar to the actual UPSC exam. It also covers the thinking process and approach which is needed to write a perfect essay. If you follow the tips given in the book, you surely will be able to score well in the exam.
101 Essays for IAS/ PCS Exam & Other Competitive Exams by Disha Experts
If you want to look at the bunch of the essay samples that this book is the one for you. The book has divided static and current topics separately. In total it contains 12 sections so that you concentrate on each one of them and get better. The essay on topics like governance, world polity, economics, environment, social justice is covered. If you read this book you will easily understand how to write an essay on the topics mentioned above.
Also Read: How to write an Essay in IAS Exam?
Essay topic for upsc.
Here are topics from the previous year paper for your practice:
- Alternative technologies for a climate change resilient India
- A good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge
- Poverty anywhere is a threat to prosperity everywhere
- Management of Indian border disputes-a complex task
- Customary morality cannot be a guide to modern life
- ‘The past’ is a permanent dimension of human consciousness and values
- A people that values its privileges above its principles loses both
- Reality does not conform to the ideal but confirms it
Also Read: 8 Valuable Essay Writing Tips For UPSC That You Should Follow
IAS essay writing can be a tricky job but if you prepare right then nothing can stop you. Practise writing one to two topics every week. Analyze them, get them checked by your tutor. Make a separate notebook for phrases and make a habit of using them frequently while practising.
Try writing for each topic from the previous year UPSC paper and let us know about your approach in the comment section below.
Thank you for providing the essay book list, I was really worried and then found this article on the web, that was like a bless, can you also help with some online material which can be used?
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
You might also like
Green Hydrogen UPSC: National Green Hydrogen Mission UPSC Notes
How to Prepare Current Affairs for UPSC? Which Monthly Magazine is Best for UPSC?
Budget 2022: Let’s Acknowledge the Budget 2022 Highlights for UPSC CSE 2022!
Other stories, ias abhishek singh wiki: biography of an ias officer turned actor, polity ncert for upsc: how to read polity ncert for upsc tips and tricks for polity.
Forgot your password?
Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive mail with link to set new password.
Back to login
- Most Searched Products
Essay books for UPSC exams: Get better at writing essays in exams
Mastering Essay & Answer Writing by Dr. Awdhesh Singh
Essays for civil services and other competitive examinations by pulkit khare, 151 essays for ias/ pcs & other competitive exams by disha experts, kiran’s upsc essays solved papers of 1993 till date, select essays for civil services examination by drishti publications.
- Coaching Materials
- Vision IAS - English
Vision IAS Mains Essay 2021 PDF Download
Vision IAS Essay 2021 PDF Download
Now you have made up your mind to become IAS officer and looking for the books and study materials to achieve your goal. Well, you are on the right page. Now We are Sharing With You Vision IAS Essay 2021 PDF.
We struggle hard to gather all these tests and Materials so if anyone subscribed any test series or material please forward us to [email protected] , We remove all the tracing items from the pdf and We Respect Your Privacy.
If You want to share Your Study Material with Other send me [email protected]
? Current Affairs 360° in just 2 minutes (Revise the Complete Notes).
? Read Less, Learn More.?
Download from Google App
If you don’t have access to UPSC Prelims material and UPSC Mains material and UPSC Optionals material and Test Series [Prelims/Mains] and also Magazine you can also follow their website and be updated.
All pdf which are provided here are for education purposes only. please utilize them for building your knowledge and don’t make them commercial. we request you to respect our hard work. we are providing everything free here. upscpdf.com will not charge any cost for any service here., if you are new to upsc field, we recommend you to know about upsc prelims and upsc mains and upsc optionals and test series [prelims/mains] and also magazine for better understanding. all our advertisements are decent ads [we don’t compromise in the quality] and if anyone have any problem with website or advertisements please contact me [email protected], upscpdf.com does not own this book, neither created nor scanned. we just providing the links already available on internet. if any way it violates the law or has any issues then kindly contact us. thank you., related articles more from author, vision ias mains 2021 modern history printed notes pdf, vision ias smart cities printed notes pdf, vision ias disaster management notes pdf.
Download All Important Essay Books For UPSC PDF For Free
Disha’s 101 Essays Book PDF
- National Issues
- International Issues
- Social Issues
- Environmental Issues
- Educational Issues
Disclaimer: Iswarahir.in Does not own this PDF, neither created nor scanned. We provide the link already available on the internet. If it violates the law or has any issues, kindly contact us to request the removal of the link.
More study materials & tips:
- Get Computer books best study materials: CLICK HERE
- Get Gujrati grammar best study materials: CLICK HERE
- Get English Grammar best study materials: CLICK HERE
- Get samany Vigyan best study materials: CLICK HERE
- Get Jaher Vahivat best study materials: CLICK HERE
- Get World inbox best study materials: CLICK HERE
Leave a Comment Cancel reply
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Essay for UPSC PDF Free Download
Essay book PDF for UPSC Civil Services Mains Exams in Hindi and English for Free Download. A collections of books includes best and selected Essay, Last 7 years IAS/IPS Mains Solved Paper, for Hindi Compulsory Paper from reputed coaching Institutes and Publishers.
यूपीएससी सिविल सेवा मुख्य परीक्षा के लिए निबंध पुस्तक पीडीएफ हिंदी और अंग्रेजी में मुफ्त डाउनलोड के लिए। पुस्तकों के संग्रह में प्रतिष्ठित कोचिंग संस्थानों और प्रकाशकों से पिछले 7 वर्षों के IAS / IPS मेन्स सॉल्व्ड पेपर, हिंदी अनिवार्य पेपर के लिए सर्वश्रेष्ठ और चयनित निबंध शामिल हैं।
Disha Publication Essay for Civil Services Mains
Name : IAS/PCS & Other Competitive Exams निबंध : 151 Publisher : Disha Publication Medium : Hindi Number of Pages : 328
Name : IAS/PCS & Other Competitive Exams Essays : 101 Publisher : Disha Publication Medium : English Number of Pages : 289
दृष्टि IAS The Vision Hindi Essay Book PDF
Name : मध्य प्रदेश लोक सेवा आयोग (MPPSC) Subject : दृष्टि The Vision Medium : Hindi Number of Pages : 105
Name : A Handbook of Select Essays for Civil Services Examinations Publisher : Drishti Medium : English Number of Pages : 35
Prabhat Publication Essay for Civil Services in English
Name : Essays for Civil Services Examinations 145+173 Previous CSE Essays Publisher : Prabhat Publication Dr. B. Ramaswamy Medium : English Number of Pages : 429
Download : UPSC Essay Mains Notes 2022
Name : UPSC Essay Mains Notes 2022 By : Vajiram & Ravi Medium : English Number of pages : 170
Modern Essays by Arihant PDF
Name : Modern Essays Publisher : Arihant Author : Swati Agarwal Medium : English PDF Pages : 355
Thanks for Free Download Essay books PDF for UPSC Mains Examination.
Related posts, environment and ecology book pdf in hindi, indian constitution in hindi pdf download, environment handwritten notes in hindi pdf, general hindi book pdf download, leave a comment.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
- Exam Details
- Current Affairs
- State PSC Exams
Essay Book for UPSC – Best Books for Essay | PDF | Also in Hindi
Essays are very imp for your UPSC Mains exam. Let us simply define what is an essay. Essays are basically excerpts on a single topic. They can include many diverse aspects under the same topic. Moreover, the word limit usually ranges high. It is a combination of many different paragraphs. We have all written essays at some point in our school or university. Usually, essays are used to evaluate some factors. For example, it helps the corrector to test your language. It also helps them to learn your vocabulary. In addition to this, it helps them to learn your knowledge on a subject or topic. There are many different types of topics for essays. Some people are born with writing skills. However, some need to take help from the best essay book for UPSC PDF in Hindi/English.
Challenges While Writing Your Essay Paper
Essay writing – body and conclusion.
About UPSC Mains Paper I
The essay paper will build a great basis for your mains exam. Out of the total nine papers, an essay paper is very crucial. You get three hours to complete each of them. Paper A and Paper B are language papers. The first paper is about a compulsory Indian language. It carries a total of 300 marks. Moreover, this is your first paper for mains. You must wisely choose a language. You must make sure you are sure about the choice. Moreover, you must have a command of the language. It is mostly a regional language. Secondly, there is Paper B. This is a language paper too. However, paper B is an English paper. You cannot write this paper in any other language. Paper B also carries 300 marks. For papers A and B, you get a total of 3 hours to write the paper each.
After paper A and paper B starts Paper I to Paper VII. The best essay book for UPSC will help you to crack your Paper I. It means that Paper I is all about essays. This paper carries 250 marks. Moreover, you will get 3 hours to write your essay paper. Further, after the essay paper, there are GS papers. Finally, there are optional subject papers. They too carry 250 marks each and are written within 3 hours each. Let us now look at some important aspects of the essay paper. The essay paper has a total of two sections. Each section has 4 topics under it. Hence, there are in total 8 topics in the paper. However, you have to write two.
Essay Paper Pattern
Out of the total 4 topics in section one, you have to select one. Similarly, you have to choose your second topic from the next section out of the 4 topics. We already saw that this paper carries a total of 250 marks. Hence, each essay is for 125 marks. Thus, making a total of 250. The essay paper is very general in nature. Moreover, you usually do not need special reference material to prepare for it. Why is it so? Firstly, the topics are usually general in nature. They are covered under your GS syllabus. They revolve around current topics.
A UPSC aspirant prepares from a holistic view. All you have to do is focus on your GS topics even from the essay point of view. Many aspirants do not pay attention to a paper one. It is taken lightly due to its non-specific nature of topics. Moreover, often we believe that we can easily pull off the general topics.
However, many aspirants have faced difficulties during the actual exam hour. It is difficult to write something worth 125 marks in your paper. Moreover, there is a very short time to cover all the aspects of your topic. You might have a lot to talk about, but there is a time constraint. In addition to this, you need time to create a framework for your essay. This takes time to think. You can be left baffled by this in the exam hall. Then, it won’t be healthy for your other papers.
No matter how strongly you have prepared for the other papers, an essay paper is a merit maker or breaker. You pen down your original thoughts. Everything is going to be written in original words. It takes immense practice even if you do not realize it. The best essay is a result of serious practice. For this, you need the best UPSC essay book/PDF in English or Hindi. An essay book for UPSC will help you in a holistic prep.
Why Should You Prepare From The Best Essay Book For UPSC PDF?
Let us look at some perks of preparing for your paper one. Firstly, the book will help you to understand the topics. These books usually have topics from the previous year. It will mostly cover your prep from the previous year’s UPSC papers. If the UPSC essay book PDF does not have previous year’s topics, you can visit the UPSC website for the paper. To get the last year’s essay papers: click here. Practicing last year’s papers is an amazing source. It will help you learn the nature of topics asked by UPSC over the years. Moreover, it will also help you to learn the changes over the years in the type of topics asked in the paper. You can prepare accordingly.
Some useful best essay books for UPSC are listed below:
- Essays for Civil Services By Pulkit Khare.
- Mastering essay and answer writing for civil services by Disha Experts.
- 151 Essays by SC Gupta (Arihant Publication).
About UPSC Essay Book/PDF
These books will help you to get an overall idea about the paper pattern. Moreover, the key to great writing is careful reading. Read as much as possible around relevant topics. Keep an eye on the most current and happening events. Strategic topics, issues, and problems with their possible solutions are trending. You can possibly write a great essay with the right knowledge. However, only knowledge isn’t enough. You need to develop your vocabulary. Moreover, you should focus on the topic rightly.
Tips To Write The Best Essay Paper Introduction
Here are some useful tips for your essay from the best UPSC essay book PDF in English/Hindi. Let us look at them one by one. Firstly, you need to write an attractive introduction. This is applicable for essays and answers in your mains. However, in the case of answers, the introduction part is very brief in nature. Hence, you need an average understanding of the context of the answer. But this isn’t true for an essay. When you take up writing an essay, you have to make a very catchy introduction. Moreover, you should possibly add whatever you know to introduce your topic.
As per toppers’ suggestions, it is advantageous to start your essay with a verse. Mostly, you should use a popular phrase to back up your future topic explanation. Do not hesitate in code-mixing. If you are using a verse from a regional language, make sure you explain it further as a part of your intro. In addition to this, you do not have to always remember certain quotes or phrases for your intro. Sometimes, you can also create your own introductory verse. In this way, you can catch the examiner’s attention quickly. Note that this isn’t compulsory. But surely recommended. You will read several essays in the best essay book for UPSC. This will eventually develop the introduction skills in you.
Further comes the main part of your essay. That is the body. This part plays a very crucial role. Here you explain everything about your topic. Make sure you stick to the topic throughout your body. You can touch upon complementary topics. Moreover, you should try and cover all the areas you can think of in the body of the essay. This will present your holistic understanding of the topic. This is the main purpose of the essay, to test your overall knowledge about the topic. Lastly, comes the conclusion. A good essay book for UPSC PDF will help you to conclude your essay in a very great way.
You can close your topic with some suggestions. Or a reality check. Moreover, you can also add your own opinion. However, popular opinion is preferred over individual opinion. In addition to this, you can come up with solutions for any problem noted in the essay. Moreover, do not forget to include examples in your essay to back your explanation. We are sure all these pointers will help you to write an attractive essay and score your best. For more such articles: click here.
You have to write two essays in 3 hours. Each essay carries 125 marks. Hence, you are expected to write at least 1000 to 2000 words per essay.
This is a very common question. Often aspirants start writing the essay without a proper outline in mind. Firstly, you should create an outline in your head. Plan what do you want to write in your essay at least for 5 to 10 mins. Write down the major header and proceed as per the order for your essay. In this way, you will save time thinking about what is next.
The book must guide you around some latest essay topics in vogue. It should contain previous year’s papers or practice papers for essays. The book must also guide you to write a good intro, body, and conclusion.
Editor’s Note | Essay Book for UPSC
Here we will conclude our article. In today’s article, we talked about the best essay book for UPSC PDF in Hindi/English. We listed some important books for your paper one prep. Moreover, we also talked about writing a good essay. We listed some tips and tricks. We also discussed the paper one pattern and section-wise essay paper weightage. Thus, we hope that this article will help you strengthen your UPSC essay paper prep.
World History Book for UPSC – Best World History Books for UPSC
Environment book for upsc – books on environmental studies & ecology, related posts.
Science and Technology Book for UPSC – Best General Science Books
RS Sharma Ancient History – India’s Ancient Past by RS Sharma
General Studies Books for UPSC Exam – Book List for GS | IAS Exam
Polity Book for UPSC – Best Books on Indian Politics
UPSC Law Optional Books – Best Law Books for IAS or UPSC Exam
Environment Book for UPSC - Books on Environmental Studies & Ecology
- G7 Countries List or Members | G7 Summit & Headquarters
- Make in India – Made in India Logo | Project & Scheme
- Nitrogen Cycle – What is? – Explain | Diagram & Drawing
- World War 2 – Second (2nd) World War – II | Date
- Kashi Vishwanath Temple or Mandir or Dham | Banaras Corridor
- President of India – Rashtrapati – Who is? & Current Salary
- Agneepath Scheme – Yojana, Notification & Protest – Imp for UPSC
Browse by Category
- Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission (APPSC)
- Assam Public Service Commission (APSC)
- Bihar Public Service Commission (BPSC)
- Chhattisgarh Public Service Commission (CGPSC)
- Cut Off Marks
- Economics Books
- Editorial Articles
- Eligibility Criteria
- Essay Writing
- Ethics Books
- Exam Pattern
- Geography Books
- Gujarat Public Service Commission (GPSC)
- Haryana Public Service Commission (HPSC)
- Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission (HPPSC)
- Hindi Medium
- History Books
- IAS & IPS Officers
- IAS Exam (CSE)
- Indian Polity
- Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission (JKPSC)
- Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC)
- Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC)
- Kerala Public Service Commission (KPSC)
- Kurukshetra Magazine
- Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission (MPPSC)
- Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC)
- Mains General Studies
- Mains Syllabus
- NCERT Books
- Odisha Public Service Commission (OPSC)
- Offline Coaching
- Online Application
- Online Coaching
- Optional Subjects
- Prelims Books
- Prelims Exam
- Prelims General Studies
- Prelims Syllabus
- Press Information Bureau (PIB)
- Public Administration
- Punjab Public Service Commission (PPSC)
- Rajasthan Public Service Commission (RPSC)
- State Public Service Commission
- Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC)
- The Indian Express
- UPSC Coaching
- UPSC CSE Subjects
- UPSC Current Affairs
- UPSC Exam Details
- UPSC Interview Process
- UPSC Question Papers
- UPSC Strategy
- UPSC Study Material
- UPSC Syllabus
- UPSC Test Series
- UPSC Training
- Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC)
- Uttarakhand Public Service Commission (UKPSC)
- West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC)
- Yojana Magazine
Browse by Tags
© 2021 IAS BABU JI - One-Stop Solution for UPSC Exam Aspirants
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Are you sure want to cancel subscription.
- Skip to primary navigation
- Skip to main content
- Skip to primary sidebar
UPSC: Latest News, IAS, IPS, UPSC Preparation
Enroll in ClearIAS UPSC Coaching Join Now Log In
Call us: +91-9605741000
Essay Paper UPSC 2021 (Mains): Question Paper and Analysis
Last updated on January 8, 2022 by Alex Andrews George
UPSC conducted the Essay Paper , as part of the Civil Services Main Exam 2021 on 07-01-2022.
There were 8 Essay topics, out of which candidates were asked to write on two topics in 3 hours.
Candidates were supposed to answer about 1000 words for each essay (about 10-12 pages).
Table of Contents
Essay Paper UPSC 2021 Instructions
- Total Marks: 250 marks, Time duration: 3 hours.
- The essay must be written in the medium authorized in the admission certificate which must be stated clearly on the cover of this question-cum-answer (QCA) booklet in the space provided.
- No marks will be given for answers written in the medium other than the authorized one.
- Word limit, as specified, should be adhered to.
- Any page or portion of the page left blank, must be struck off clearly.
Essay Question Paper – UPSC Civil Services Main Exam (Written) 2021
Write two essays, choosing one topic from each of the following Sections A and B, in about 1000-1200 words each:
1. The process of self-discovery has now been technologically outsourced.
2. Your perception of me is a reflection of you; my reaction to you is an awareness of me.
ClearIAS UPSC Prelims Online Mock Exams
Join 3,00,000+ Registered Aspirants
Take a FREE Test
3. Philosophy of wantlessness is Utopian, while materialism is a chimera.
4. The real is rational and the rational is real.
5. Hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.
6. What is research, but a blind date with knowledge!
7. History repeats itself, first as a tragedy, second as a farce.
8. There are better practices to “best practices”.
Most of the essays topics this year were philosophical and open to the interpretation of the candidates. However, considering the philosophical base of the questions, most candidates found the questions tricky. It was not easy to write 1000 words on each topic within the time constraints.
UPSC has ensured that the essay topics were much different from the GS questions.
A philosophical theme is clearly evident in most of the essay topics in Section A as well as Section B. This was the case in 2020 as well. However, this year it became much more prominent. It is a clue about what UPSC expects from the essay paper.
Rather than asking candidates to write on topics most aspirants are familiar or trained with, UPSC is now evaluating the essay writing skills of aspirants by providing them with abstract or philosophical topics.
IAS, IPS, or IFS: How to succeed faster?
No. It's not by reading books!
The reason for such a shift in the pattern should be the change in the focus of the Commission.
All the 8 topics presented this year will test spontaneous thinking, comprehension, writing skills, and time-management of aspirants.
Repeated questions from previous years
The importance of the previous year UPSC questions cannot be stressed more.
Just like prelims, in mains too many questions came directly repeated from previous year question papers. Also, there were themes you often see in many essay books.
One such question was Hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.
Thinkers, Philosophers, and their Quotes
Let’s analyse the source of some of the question topics.
Your perception of me is a reflection of you; my reaction to you is an awareness of me.
This essay topic was a quote going rounds on the internet. The quote is attributed to “Coach Bobbi” [Bobbi Chegwyn] on Facebook.
Philosophy of wantlessness is Utopian, while materialism is a chimera.
This essay topic was connected with J.K. Mehta’s Theory of Wantlessness!
Best-Selling Courses Loved by IAS aspirants
Video Classes. Study Materials. Mock Exams.
This has also connections with Mahatma Gandhi’s philosophy.
The real is rational and the rational is real.
This is a quote by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel .
As per Hegel, something can be real, yet it may not exist. Also, something may not be real, it may still exist. For Hegel, reality does not mean existence.
Among philosophers, Hegel is one whose thought is extremely difficult to understand. Often to understand Hegel’s thoughts, we need to grasp his ideas, not in isolation but together with his dialogue with other philosophers, in particular, Aristotle and Kant.
The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.
“The Hand That Rocks the Cradle Is the Hand That Rules the World” is a poem by William Ross Wallace that praises motherhood as the preeminent force for change in the world. The poem was first published in 1865 under the title “ What Rules the World “.
What is research, but a blind date with knowledge!
This is a quote by Will Harvey . Will Harvey (born 1967) is an American software developer and Silicon Valley entrepreneur.
History repeats itself, first as a tragedy, second as a farce.
It was Karl Marx who said that history repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce.
First, it’s a tragedy because it shouldn’t have happened. Then it’s a farce (joke) because we didn’t learn from our mistakes the first time around. This is Marx’s version of dark humour.
What should aspirants preparing for next year do for an essay paper?
First of all, you should take the essay paper seriously.
Unless properly trained, it is not easy to write 10-12 pages on an abstract or philosophical topic.
You need to polish your comprehension and analytical skills.
Read different kinds of essays – particularly philosophical essays.
Give stress to the thoughts of philosophers like Immanuel Kant, Thomas Aquinas, John Locke, Friedrich Niche, Karl Marx etc. Start writing essays on famous quotes.
Also, be prepared to write essays touching other areas like society, polity, economy, or technology. UPSC is known for surprises.
Remember that there is nothing like a constant trend with respect to UPSC questions.
What you get by analysing the previous year question papers are clues. And only those are what you need from UPSC questions!
Register now for:, free upsc mentorship:, score high in the ias exam, talk to clearias experts, # trending now on clearias.
- Best Selling Courses of ClearIAS (This Week)
- Get FREE UPSC Mentorship
- Get FREE UPSC Study Materials
- What's New: Important Updates
- UPSC Online Coaching
- UPSC Prelims Test Series
- UPSC Mains Test Series
- UPSC Guidance
- UPSC Ebooks (PDFs)
Make Everyone Proud of You!
Join 1 million+ ias/ips/ifs aspirants who learn from clearias every month.
FREE and Premium Programs!
Start Learning Now
About Alex Andrews George
Alex Andrews George is a mentor, author, and social entrepreneur. Alex is the founder of ClearIAS and one of the expert Civil Service Exam Trainers in India.
He is the author of many best-seller books like 'Important Judgments that transformed India' and 'Important Acts that transformed India'.
A trusted mentor and pioneer in online training , Alex's guidance, strategies, study-materials, and mock-exams have helped many aspirants to become IAS, IPS, and IFS officers.
January 8, 2022 at 11:36 am
Upsc has chosen right path to evaluate person.one person read, listen ,rember and write in exam.He qualify exam.He is just like computer.worthy less people selected by upsc every year.They are not thinker.so our country is intellectually insolvent.civil services requires thinker to. progess country and welfare of common man.These types of question evaluate intellectual for the welfare of human being.
January 9, 2022 at 1:44 pm
You are putting the quality of a leader and a literate society in such a person who just has to follow his supremes.He/She must be a good analyst. That’s it!!!
June 13, 2022 at 12:41 pm
in the bureaucracy – there is no space for logical thinking.
once you clear the exams and get appointed – you have to follow the “protocol’ or “procedures” – its difficult to be analytical and innovative – bcos the system demands obedience and adherence to the protocol. If you follow the protocol – and even if lot of people are severely affected – you wont be taken to task. But if you are innovative – and even if ONE person gets affected – you will be punished.
January 8, 2022 at 4:02 pm
Yeah!I’ve passed upsc .
January 25, 2022 at 2:21 pm
I have written Essay on three topics..how may I share?
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Don’t lose out without playing the right game!
Follow the ClearIAS Prelims cum Mains (PCM) Integrated Approach.
Join ClearIAS PCM Course Now
UPSC Online Preparation
- Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- Indian Police Service (IPS)
- IAS Exam Eligibility
- UPSC Free Study Materials
- UPSC Exam Guidance
- UPSC Syllabus
- UPSC Online
- UPSC Prelims
- UPSC Interview
- UPSC Calendar 2023
- UPSC Calendar 2024
- About ClearIAS
- ClearIAS Programs
- ClearIAS Fee Structure
- IAS Coaching
- ClearIAS Blog
- Important Updates
- Book Review
- ClearIAS App
- Work with us
- Advertise with us
- Terms and Conditions
- Talk to Your Mentor
and many more...
IAS/IPS/IFS: How to be a topper? Know now.
Thank You 🙌
Arihant 151 Essays for UPSC Mains By SC Gupta
Hello, through this article today I am going to share with you Arihant publication Book of 151 Essays for UPSC Mains PDF written by SC Gupta which is a very beneficial book from the point of view of UPSC exam who are going to give their mains exam this year.
The book is mainly divided into two parts, in the first part the candidate needs to know how to write the essay, understand the essay and which words are used to write any essay effectively. The second part of the same book is an integration of the latest topics that can be frequently asked in UPSC exams.
The best thing about this book is that it covers all the important topics whether it is related to economy or politics.
- Understanding : An Essay
- Parts of an Essay
- Steps to Write an Effective Essay
- Sample Essay with Sketching
- GST : How will it Work in India?
- Digital India: Objectives and Challenges
- Net Neutrality : A Public Demand
- Social Empowerment Programmes in India
- Can Sanitation Programmes Make India Clean and Clear?
- Dream of Smart Cities : Myth or Reality in India
- Child Labour in India : An Unavoidable Dilemma
- Organic Farming: Is it Really Feasible for All?
- Reservation Policy in India : Does it Need Review?
- Is Capital Punishment Justified?
- ( Make In India : Big Boost to Industry and Employment
- Cyber Crime: How to Tackle it?
- India’s Claim to Security Council of United Nations
- United Nations and World Peace
- Euthanasia : Should it be Legalised?
- Freedom of Expression vs Nationalism
- Black Money : Grave Menace for the Nation
- Direct Benefit Transfer : Step towards Good Governance
- Virtual Learning : Can it Replace Teachers?
- Human Cloning: A Moral Dilemma
- e-Waste : Digital Dark Side
- Police Reforms in India : Must Needed Reform
- Necessity of Uniform Civil Code
- Teenage Suicide : Today’s Grave Problem in Society
- Metro Rail : Mass Rapid Transport
- Judicial Activism in India
- Medical Tourism: A New Trend in Tourism
- Drone Technology : Is it a Substitute for Manned Aircrafts ?
- Relevance of Gandhian Principles in Today’s Time
- Vision IAS Essay Notes
Digital India (Essay)
the vision of Digital India is to transform the country into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy. It would ensure that government services are available to citizens electronically. This programme was launched on 2nd July, 2015 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The initiative includes plans to connect rural areas with high-speed internet networks and improving digital literacy.
This programme will be implemented in phases till 2018. This programme has been envisaged by Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DEITY) IC with the active participation of Ministry of Communications and IT, Ministry of Rural Development, Ministry of Human Resource Development and Ministry of le Health.
Right from the day of its launch, the programme has managed to garner praises from across the different sectors and is considered to play an important role in the transformation of India’s digital infrastructure. It will act as a catalyst for the investment in the information technology sector and thus, generate employment.
Digital India programmes is centered on three key vision areas viz, infrastructure as utility to every citizen, Governance and services on demand and digital empowerment of citizens.
Download PDF Now
If the download link provided in the post (Arihant 151 Essays for UPSC Mains By SC Gupta) is not functioning or is in violation of the law or has any other issues, please contact us . If this post contains any copyrighted links or material, we will not provide its PDF or any other downloading source.
1 thought on “Arihant 151 Essays for UPSC Mains By SC Gupta”
Leave a comment.
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Join Our UPSC Material Group (Free)
Avail upto 60% off on all UPSC Courses Celebrate #DiwaliwithPW
- UPSC Online
- UPSC Offline
- UPSC Hybrid
- UPPCS Online
- BPSC Online
- MPSC Online
- MPPSC Online
- WBPSC Online
- UPPCS Offline Coaching
- BPSC Offline Coaching
- UPSC Test Series
- State PSC Test Series
- DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS
- DAILY EDITORIAL ANALYSIS
- DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ
- Daily Prelims(MCQs) Practice
- Daily Mains Answer Writing
- Free Resources
- UPSC Syllabus
- Prelims Preparation
- Mains Preparation
- Interview Preparation
The UPSC essay paper is one of the nine papers for the IAS main exam. With this, the scores obtained in the UPSC essay topics will also be considered in the merit list. Hence, it is important to cover all the aspects of the UPSC essay syllabus .
In this paper, candidates need to write two essays, each with a word limit of 1000-1200 words. Moreover, they are required to choose one IAS essay topic out of the four options in each section i.e. A and B.
The UPSC essay paper is conducted for 250 marks with one essay UPSC paper for 125 marks. Therefore, aspirants should use the best books and strategies to excel in this section.
In this article, we have compiled all the details of the UPSC IAS essay for the candidates aspiring for the upcoming civil services exam.
UPSC Essay Paper 2023 Structure
- As per the UPSC exam pattern , the essay paper is one of the nine subjects in the civil services main exam. In this paper, aspirants need to write essays on assigned UPSC essay topics .
- Candidates should practice writing essays on multiple topics in order to learn how to arrange their ideas and execute the same in the proper order.
- Furthermore, the UPSC essay paper will carry 250 marks with an exam duration of 3 hours.
UPSC Essay Previous Year Papers
The previous year’s UPSC essay paper is one of the finest resources to prepare well for this section. This will strengthen their vocabulary and writing skills and also provide them insights into the type of essay topics UPSC asked over the years.
Hence, we have compiled below the official UPSC essay previous paper PDF link for 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018 for the reference of the candidates.
Best Strategy for UPSC Essay Writing
UPSC essays must be well-formatted and presented in a manner that the readers can easily understand without any obstacles. Above all, it must include the ideas about the issue mentioned in the question.
Candidates must note that the general essay papers also play an important role in compensating for the less scores in general studies and optional papers. Hence, it is advisable to focus on improving the vocabulary and writing skills from the first leg of the preparation.
Let’s look at the best strategy to score high marks in the UPSC essay topics in the main exam.
- Go through the entire UPSC essay syllabus to cover all the aspects of the section.
- Build a habit of reading newspaper editorials and journals every day. Going by the trend analysis, it is found that many essay questions were asked directly from current affairs in the past few years.
- Next, note down relevant quotes from the books/magazines/journal and implement them whenever required in the essay writing.
- Focus on IAS essay topics related to democracy, environment/urbanization, judiciary, social justice/poverty, philosophies, media & society, education, economic sector, etc as questions can be asked from these topics.
- Pick the essay topic very carefully. Also, it is advised to take some time to think about the topic and collect ideas and thoughts.
- One should make sure that the essay comprises sections like introduction, main body, theme, and conclusion.
- Moreover, aspirants can also reach out to their mentors, experts, seniors, or teachers for feedback on their essay writing. This will allow them to recognize their mistakes and focus more on their weak points for effective preparation.
Read More: How to write an essay for UPSC here!
Best Books for UPSC Essay Writing
Along with the best UPSC essay strategy , aspirants should also choose the finest books that comprise multiple essay topics UPSC for the exam. Here, we have shared below the best books and resources to strengthen the preparation of the general essay section:
- Monthly Current Affairs Magazines by OnlyIAS
- Only IAS Yogana Magazine
- Only IAS Praarambh Post-Independence India
- Only IAS Kurukshetra Magazine
- Only IAS Praarmabh Indian Society
- The Hindu (editorial articles)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How to score 150 in UPSC essay?
Ans. One can score 150 marks on the UPSC essay paper by managing time effectively throughout the exam and avoiding any kind of deviation from the topic.
Q2. What are the topics for UPSC essay?
Ans. Some of the important IAS essay topics include democracy, environment/urbanization, judiciary, social justice/poverty, philosophies, media & society, education, economic sector, etc
Q3. What is essay paper 1 in UPSC?
Ans. The UPSC essay paper 1 is one of the nine papers for the IAS main exam. In this paper, candidates need to write two essays, each with a word limit of 1000-1200 words. The maximum mark is 250 with a duration of 3 hours.
Q4. Is UPSC essay tough?
Ans. Yes, the UPSC essay paper is moderately tough as per the past year’s exam analysis. However, it also depends on the aspirant knowledge of the topic.
Q5. How many pages is 1,000 words in UPSC?
Ans. 2 pages single-spaced or 4 pages double-spaced is about 1000 words in UPSC.
THE MOST LEARNING PLATFORM
Learn From India's Best Faculty
Select centre Online Mode Hybrid Mode PWonlyIAS Delhi (ORN) PWonlyIAS Delhi (MN) PWonlyIAS Lucknow PWonlyIAS Patna Other
Select course UPSC Online PSC ONline UPSC + PSC ONLINE UPSC Offline PSC Offline UPSC+PSC Offline UPSC Hybrid PSC Hybrid UPSC+PSC Hybrid Other
Beginner’s roadmap, quick links.
PW-Only IAS came together specifically to carry their individual visions in a mission mode. Infusing affordability with quality and building a team where maximum members represent their experiences of Mains and Interview Stage and hence, their reliability to better understand and solve student issues.
Subscribe our Newsletter
Sign up now for our exclusive newsletter and be the first to know about our latest Initiatives, Quality Content, and much more.
G-Floor,4-B Pusha Road, New Delhi, 110060
- +91 9920613613
- [email protected]
Download Our App
Suscribe now form, to get early access of such quality content..
Join Us Now
(Promise! We Will Not Spam You.)
- School & Boards College Admission Govt Jobs Alert & Prep Exams Current Affairs General Knowledge Careers Videos Education News Quiz & Mock Tests Ebooks Results हिन्दी Jagran TV Jagran Play View All Categories
- SRM University
- Nikharda Punjab
- Current Affairs
- Web Stories
UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus for IAS Mains: PDF Download
UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus: Download the UPSC CSE Electrical Engineering Syllabus PDF, check the topic-wise Electrical Engineering Optional Syllabus for Papers 1 & 2 along with the best strategy and books
UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus : Electrical Engineering is a popular optional subject in the UPSC Mains exam. Aspirants should choose an Electrical engineering subject as optional only if they have the background and sound knowledge in this subject. Scoring high marks in the optional subject will increase the overall ranking of the UPSC aspirants.
Candidates must adhere to the latest UPSC syllabus for Electrical Engineering to align their approach and techniques with the exam requirements for effective results. Going by the past 5 years' statistics, approximately 160-200 candidates choose Electrical Engineering optional subject, and the success rate hovers around 8%.
Familiarity with the Electrical Engineering Syllabus for UPSC will help candidates prepare topics important for the exam. As per the past UPSC exam analysis, it is found that the difficulty level of the questions in the UPSC Electrical Engineering optional subject is moderate in nature.
In this article, we have shared the UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus PDF for Mains, along with question weightage, preparation tips, and best books.
UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus PDF
The UPSC Electrical Engineering optional syllabus comprises two papers, i.e., Paper 1 and Paper 2. The total mark for the UPSC Electrical Engineering subject is 500 marks, with each paper for 250 marks. To cover all the topics, aspirants must download the UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus PDF for Papers 1 and 2 prescribed by the officials. Download the topic-wise UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus PDF for papers 1 and 2 shared below.
UPSC Electrical Engineering Optional Syllabus For IAS Mains
The UPSC Electrical Engineering Optional Syllabus is divided into two papers, i.e., Paper 1 and Paper 2. Candidates should check the topic-wise UPSC Electrical Engineering syllabus for main optional papers 1 and 2 and create their study plan for their preparation journey accordingly.
UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus for Paper 1
The UPSC Electrical Engineering Paper I syllabus covers topics like Circuit Theory, Signals and Systems, E.M. Theory, Analog Electronics, Digital Electronics, Energy Conversion, etc. Check the topic-wise UPSC Electrical Engineering Optional Syllabus for Paper I below.
- Circuits—Theory :
Circuit components; network graphs; KCL, KVL; Circuit analysis methods : nodal analysis, mesh analysis; basic network theorems and applications; transient analysis : RL, RC and RLC circuits; sinusoidal steady state analysis; resonant circuits; coupled circuits; balanced 3-phase circuits. Two-port networks.
- Signals and Systems :
Representation of continuous-time and discrete-time signals and systems; LTI systems; convolution; impulse response; time-domain analysis of LTI systems based on convolution and differential/difference equations. Fourier transform, Laplace transform, Z-transform, Transfer function. Sampling and recovery of signals DFT, FFT Processing of analog signals through discrete-time systems.
- E.M. Theory :
Maxwell’s equations, wave propagation in bounded media. Boundary conditions, reflection and refraction of plane waves. Transmission lines: travelling and standing waves, impedance matching, Smith chart.
- Analog Electronics :
Characteristics and equivalent circuits (large and small-signal) of Diode, BJT, JFET and MOSFET.
Diode circuits: Clipping, clamping, rectifier. Biasing and bias stability. FET amplifiers. Current mirror; Amplifiers: single and multi-stage, differential, operational feedback and power. Analysis of amplifiers; frequency-response of amplifiers. OPAMP circuits. Filters; sinusoidal oscillators: criterion for oscillation; single-transistor and OPAMP configurations. Function generators and wave-shaping circuits. Linear and switching power supplies.
- Digital Electronics :
Boolean algebra; minimisation of Boolean functions; logic gates; digital IC families (DTL, TTL, ECL, MOS, CMOS). Combinational circuits: arithmetic circuits, code converters, multiplexers and decoders. Sequential circuits: latches and flip-flops, counters and shift registers. Comparators, timers, multivibrators. Sample and hold circuits, ADCs and DACs. Semiconductor memories. Logic implementation using programmable devices (ROM, PLA, FPGA).
- Energy Conversion :
Principles of electromechanical energy conversion: Torque and emf in rotating machines. DC machines: characteristics and performance analysis; starting and speed control of motors. Transformers: principles of operation and analysis; regulation, efficiency; 3-phase transformers. 3-phase induction machines and synchronous machines: characteristics and performance analysis; speed control.
- Power Electronics and Electric Drives :
Semiconductor power devices: diode, transistor, thyristor, triac, GTO and MOSFET-static characteristics and principles of operation; triggering circuits; phase control rectifiers; bridge converters: fully-controlled and half-controlled; principles of thyristor choppers and inverters; DC-DC converters; Switch mode inverter; basic concepts of speed control of dc and ac motor drives applications of variable speed drives.
- Analog Communication :
Random variables: continuous, discrete; probability, probability functions. Statistical averages; probability models; Random signals and noise: white noise, noise equivalent bandwidth; signal transmission with noise; signal to noise ratio. Linear CW modulation: Amplitude modulation: DSB, DSBSC and SSB. Modulators and Demodulators; Phase and Frequency modulation: PM & FM signals; narrows band FM; generation & detection of FM and PM, Deemphasis, Preemphasis. CW modulation system: Superheterodyne receivers, AM receivers, communication receivers, FM receivers, phase locked loop, SSB receiver Signal to noise ratio calculation or AM and FM receivers
UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus for Paper 2
The UPSC Electrical Engineering Paper II Syllabus focuses on topics like Control Systems, Microprocessors and Microcomputers, Measurement and Instrumentation, Power Systems, and Digital Communication. Check the topic-wise UPSC Electrical Engineering Optional Syllabus PDF for Paper II below.
- Control Systems :
Elements of control systems; block-diagram representations; open-loop & closed-loop systems; principles and applications of feedback. Control system components. LTI systems: time-domain and transform-domain analysis. Stability: Routh Hurwitz criterion, root-loci, Bode-plots and polar plots, Nyquist’s criterion; Design of lead-lad compensators. Proportional, PI, PID controllers. State-variable representation and analysis of control systems.
- Microprocessors and Microcomputers :
PC organisation; CPU, instruction set, register set timing diagram, programming, interrupts, memory interfacing, I/O interfacing, programmable peripheral devices.
- Measurement and Instrumentation :
Error analysis; measurement of current voltage, power, energy, power factor, resistance, inductance, capacitance and frequency; bridge measurements. Signal conditioning circuit; Electronic measuring instruments: multimeter, CRO, digital voltmeter, frequency counter, Q-meter, spectrum-analyser, distortion-meter. Transducers: thermocouple, thermistor, LVDT, strain-guage, piezo-electric crystal.
- Power Systems: Analysis and Control :
Steady-state performance of overhead transmission lines and cables; principles of active and reactive power transfer and distribution; per-unit quantities; bus admittance and impedance matrices; load flow; voltage control and power factor correction; economic operation; symmetrical components, analysis of symmetrical and unsymmetrical faults. Concepts of system stability: swing curves and equal area criterion. Static VAR system. Basic concepts of HVDC transmission.
- Power System Protection :
Principles of overcurrent, differential and distance protection. Concept of solid state relays. Circuit breakers. Computer-aided protection: introduction; line, bus, generator, transformer protection; numeric. relays and application of DSP to protection.
- Digital Communication :
Pulse code modulation (PCM), differential pulse code modulation (DPCM), delta modulation (DM), Digital modulation and demodulation schemes: amplitude, phase and frequency keying schemes (ASK, PSK, FSK). Error control coding: error detection and correction, linear block codes, convolution codes. Information measure and source coding. Data networks, 7-layer architecture.
How to Prepare the UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus?
Candidates should download the official UPSC Electrical Engineering Syllabus before commencing the preparation. One should learn the basic concepts and advanced chapters to score well in the exam. Here, we have compiled the tips and tricks to cover the Electrical Engineering syllabus for the UPSC exam efficiently.
- Analyse the UPSC Electrical Engineering optional syllabus thoroughly to save time and energy on irrelevant topics.
- Choose expert-recommended books and study resources to learn concepts for all the units asked in the exam.
- Maintain a balance between speed and accuracy when solving the questions.
- Solve UPSC Electrical Engineering's previous year's question paper to know topics asked over the years and the overall difficulty level.
- Create notes when studying the UPSC Electrical Engineering optional syllabus for quick revision.
Booklist for UPSC Electrical Engineering Optional Syllabus
There is an ocean of UPSC Electrical Engineering books available for the preparation of the UPSC Electrical Engineering optional subject. However, the right selection of books will only help them to cover all the aspects of the UPSC Electrical Engineering Optional Syllabus. Some of the best UPSC Electrical Engineering Optional books are as follows.
- Electromagnetic Fields & Waves by Kd Prasad
- Principles of Electronics by V .K. Mehta
- Radio Engineering by G.K. Mithal
- Circuit Analysis by Gupta
- Digital Logic and Computer Design by M. Morris Mano
- Circuit Theory: Analysis and Synthesis by A. Chakrabarti
- Signals and System by Alan V. Oppenheim
- Electrical Technology by Thareja
- Automatic Control System by Benjamin C. Kuo
- Integrated Circuits by D. Roy Choudhary
What is the UPSC Electrical Engineering Optional Syllabus?
Is the electrical engineering subject for upsc ias mains easy, how to study electrical engineering for upsc, related categories.
- HTET Admit Card 2023
- Odisha Police SI Cut Off 2023
- KGMU Nursing Officer Cut Off 2023
- EMRS Exam City 2023
- SSC GD Constable Notification 2023
Latest Education News
- BPSC 69th Main Exam 2023: Registration Process Begins at bpsc.bih.nic.in, Check Steps To Apply just now
- CBSE Water Resources Class 12 MCQs of Geography Chapter 4 just now
- Red Planet Day 2023: Wishes, Greetings, Messages, Quotes, and More to share on this day just now
- Delhi Schools to Have 220 Minimum Working Days Per Academic Year; Details Inside just now
- SAIL Recruitment 2023: प्रवीणता प्रशिक्षण नर्स पदों के लिए आवेदन शुरू, रजिस्ट्रेशन की अंतिम तिथि 9 दिसंबर 17 mins ago
- DPCC AEE Recruitment 2023 For Assistant Environmental Engineer Posts: Check Eligibility And Application Process 18 mins ago
- CBSE Class 10 Social Science Important MCQs for Board Exam 2024 22 mins ago
- NEET SS Counselling 2023 Round 2 Schedule Revised, Registration From December 5 23 mins ago
- Brain Teaser for IQ Test: Can You Spot The Mistake In The Swimming Pool Picture in 3 secs? 25 mins ago
- Puzzle for IQ Test: Only a Sharp Brain Can Spot the Sibling Among 3 Couples in picture within 9 secs! 27 mins ago
- Optical Illusion for IQ Test: Only 5% Can Spot The Jellyfish Hidden Among Seaweed In The Picture Within 9 secs! 30 mins ago
- UGC NET Pre Admit Card December 2023 To Be OUT Soon: NTA NET Exam City Intimation Slip to Release @ugcnet.nta.ac.in 35 mins ago
- You Have 10K Vision If You Can Find The X Hidden Among K’s In Less Than 5 Seconds. Try Your Luck! 39 mins ago
- JKBOSE 10th Registration 2024 Starts Tomorrow; Apply at jkbose.nic.in 40 mins ago
- IPL Auction 2024: List of Players Released by All Teams 43 mins ago
- Spot 3 differences between the costume party pictures in 12 seconds! 45 mins ago
- Geography MCQs for Class 12 Board Exams 2024, Download PDFs 52 mins ago
- DDU Result 2023 OUT on ddugu.ac.in, Download UG and PG Semester Marksheet 55 mins ago
- CBSE Class 10 Sample Papers 2024 with Marking Schemes (All Subjects) 1 hour ago
- CBSE Class 10 Syllabus for Board Exam 2024 with Important Resources 1 hour ago
- UK Board 12th Result 2023 - Scrutiny Result Sep 8, 2023
- UK Board Result 2023 - Scrutiny Result Sep 8, 2023
- UK Board 10th Result 2023 - Scrutiny Result Sep 1, 2023
- NIOS Board 10th Result 2023 - Declared Jun 26, 2023
For more results, click here
- Be Cyberwise
- IAS Preparation
UPSC Books - Best IAS Books For UPSC Civil Services Exam 2023
In this article on UPSC Books, we endeavour to provide you with the list of best books for the IAS Exam 2023 Mains & 2024 exam. The IAS Exam or the Civil Services Exam is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). The highly prestigious exam is also one of the toughest exams in the country.
UPSC IAS Books List PDF Download PDF Here
Importance of Good IAS Books
UPSC Prelims 2023 was held on 28th May, 2023.
UPSC Prelims 2024 is scheduled for 26th May 2024.
To follow up on the upcoming civil services examination, aspirants may check UPSC Calendar in the linked article.
Out of a plethora of study material available both online and offline, it is crucial that the candidates select the best books for UPSC IAS preparation .
IAS toppers recommend that aspirants start their UPSC preparation with NCERT books and then move on to the standard reference books.
The best IAS books can vary from candidate to candidate depending on their previous expertise and knowledge of the subject matter. However, the UPSC booklist recommended by experts are listed in this article subject-wise.
Choosing the right IAS exam books online for different stages of the UPSC exam is quite important. The UPSC Prelims comprises only objective type questions while the IAS Mains contains descriptive essay type question papers.
Not only should the candidates be selective about the UPSC preparation books but also divide the reading list into Prelims and Mains preparation.
Read/download the UPSC Syllabus for the upcoming examination of civil services.
UPSC Books – Best Books For UPSC Prelims
There are two papers in Prelims (GS 1 and CSAT) and both are of objective type with negative marking. The best IAS books for Prelims are given below:
UPSC BookList – Best Books For UPSC Mains
Candidates who clear the Prelims reach the Mains stage of the IAS Exam. There are 9 theory papers in UPSC 2023 out of which two papers are on the optional subject. Candidates should follow the important IAS general studies Mains books for the best preparation.
Given below are the best general studies books for the UPSC Mains:
In the UPSC mains exam, a candidate has to choose an optional subject also. The optional papers count for 500 marks in total and therefore, it is imperative that the right books are read for the optional subjects also. The following table gives the links to the list of IAS books for the respective optional subjects.
The linked articles for UPSC books for Optional subjects are given in the table below:
Study Material for UPSC
Apart from the books mentioned above, the essential UPSC Study Material includes:
- 2nd ARC Report (To read more on ARC Reports , check the linked article.)
- Economic Survey (Latest)
- Budget (Latest)
- Finance Commission Report (Latest)
- Annual reports by central ministries
- The Hindu Newspaper
- Yojana Magazine
- Press Information Bureau Releases
- Niti Aayog Action Agenda
UPSC Online Books
Currently, candidates also have an option to download e-books. These are easily available online and candidates can easily avail of these. For every subject, a different book is required and aspirants cannot carry the entire bundle along with them anywhere.
Thus, these UPSC online books are easily available and can be accessed from anywhere. Candidates can download them for free using the internet and carry along their PDF files on their laptops or tablets.
These e-books have also become popular as with technology, candidates can get the desired information within seconds without going through every single detail under any of the topics. A PDF format of NCERT books, monthly magazines and other important books is available for free use on the internet and candidates can easily download these UPSC online books.
Read only the Best UPSC Books
- The UPSC syllabus is vast and it takes at least one year to comprehensively cover it. Therefore, you cannot waste precious time by reading books that are below standard or worse, contain incorrect and unauthenticated information. In this case, you would have to unlearn what you had previously read and this can prove difficult.
- Learning from the recommended sources would mean you can directly make notes out of it, if necessary.
- There are many books that give information tailor-made for the IAS exam. For instance, Laxmikanth for Polity is a book that you must read if you are taking the UPSC exam . Many questions have been asked that seem to come directly from this book.
- In addition, many books including the one discussed above, contain information in a ‘notes’ format. So, they are readymade for IAS preparation. You don’t have to waste time trying to make notes.
- There are many books that are excellently written and contain a whole lot of valuable information. But you have to decide whether they are valuable for the UPSC exam or not. They might make a good read for academics and research scholars. But not necessarily for the UPSC exam. So, you need UPSC books that will help in your preparation and fetch you marks in the IAS exam.
Download NCERT books in Hindi here.
IAS Exam Questions related to Books for UPSC
Which books are the best for hindi medium aspirants in upsc exam.
Hindi Medium Aspirants should read UPSC Hindi Medium Books from NCERT as well as Hindi translations of popular IAS Books.
Where can I find NCERT books for IAS Exam?
NCERT books are widely available in bookstores across the country as well as major e-commerce sites. If you cannot find the book you require in a bookstore, you can download NCERT Books/ UPSC Books PDF here.
Which Economy book is best for UPSC?
Nitin Singhania – Indian Economy is one of the best books for UPSC Economy.
Which book is best for Art and Culture for UPSC?
Nitin Singhania – Indian Art & Culture is a must-read book for UPSC Prelims and Mains.
Is NCERT book enough for IAS?
NCERTs are first books for UPSC preparation. They are better when complemented with reference books.
Which book is best for Indian Polity?
M.Laxmikanth – Indian Polity is considered as the best book for UPSC.
THANKS FOR THE USEFUL INFORMATION
THAT WAS VERY HELPFUL. THANK YOU TEAM BYJU’S GO AHEAD
Really! That was very Helpful – Thanks
Should I only refer ncert books for the entire process or exam or should I refer another sources.
Hi, IAS Toppers recommend the NCERT books as the ideal starting point because of the concise nature of the information, especially the basic facts. However, after NCERT books, an aspirant should refer to subject-specific books like Lakshmikant, Bipin Chandra, Majid Hussain etc. You can find the booklist on this very page.
It’s really helpful for me because my all doubts are cleared about UPSC
It’s really helpful
Dear Sir Please let me know how to start IAS preparation from begining.
Hi Abhay You can first understand the UPSC Syllabus given in the linked article. Later, you can take help from our Free IAS Prep page.
why don’t you provided a booklist for management optional
Hi Punit Check Management Booklist for UPSC in the linked article.
The books you have mentioned above is that mean we don’t have to read other material that material would be enough for upsc?
Hi Samiksha It is best to keep your resources limited. You can rely on NCERT Books and a reference book for each subject. You can get NCERT Notes for UPSC in the linked article.
why don’t you provided a booklist public administration optional
Strategy & Booklist for Public Administration Optional
Sir please provide me study material for ias examination
You can take help from the following links: 1. NCERT Notes for UPSC 2. UPSC Notes PDF
hii sir/madam please help me in getting online access for free NCERT books&standard reference books of UPSC
Check NCERT Books PDF for UPSC
sir/ma’am can you please tell me how should i begin with the preperation because it is vast. and also which subject is mandatory for being an ias officer
1. Understand UPSC Syllabus 2. Start with NCERTs and complement with daily newspaper. 3. Refer to UPSC previous years’ question papers. 4. Read Rajiv Ahir’s Brief of Modern History, M. Laxmikanth’s Indian Polity for GS 1 and 2 respectively. 5. Revise often. 6. Take mock tests periodically.
Any special book for science and environment
Science can be covered from NCERTs and current affairs and so can be the environment. For notes on both of these, check links below: 1. Science & Technology Notes For UPSC – General Science Notes For IAS Preparation 2. Environment And Ecology Notes For UPSC – Environment Notes For IAS Preparation
In prelims upsc exam have an optional subjects or not Only in mains exams we have an optional subject please tell me the full information about upsc exams
Hi please refer to the UPSC Exam Pattern at the linked article.
Dear sir/madam, Please let me know how to start IAS Preparation from beginning
Please prescribe books for sociology as optional
UPSC Sociology Optional Books
Sir/ma’am Do we chose 1 book for a GS papers out of the 3-4 given options or are all mandatory to buy and read ?? I mean to say do I need to read all the 3-4 books corresponding to each paper that have been given?
Hi For prelims, one has to read all the books mentioned. For Mains, you can choose one for Polity. For History, if Bipan Chandra’s books look hefty, you may refer to NCERTs, Rajiv Ahir’s Spectrum and Poonam Dahiya’s ancient and medieval history books. Rest books can be read as it is. Make sure that after one reading, you are able to answers previous years UPSC questions .
Plz provide me a booklist for marathi literature [optional subject ]
Hi UPSC Marathi Literature Booklist
Hi sir It’s really very helpful And I have one doubt only this much book is enough for upsc preparation??
Hi, Yes, you can filter down the books as per your comfort. One has to note that not all books have to read from cover to cover. Go through the UPSC syllabus and old UPSC question papers and then start reading. We are aiming to provide a comprehensive booklist as everyone has a different strategy to study.
Do we have to choose one or two optional subject? Or just one and give that specific subject paper twice?
Hi, A candidate has to choose one optional subject.
I have douts about mpsc
Find MPSC related information here .
Can I get law optional booklist
Dear Aspirant, The Law Optional Booklist for UPSC is given here .
IAS 2024 - Your dream can come true!
Download the ultimate guide to upsc cse preparation.
- Share Share
Register with BYJU'S & Download Free PDFs
Register with byju's & watch live videos.