Extended Essay Writers
Extended Essay Topics Economics
Economics is a crucial social science that examines the distribution of resources and value within society. It has a wide-reaching influence on nearly all aspects of daily life and can be utilized to improve modern society.
With a vast array of subfields and areas of focus, selecting a relevant and engaging topic for an economics essay can be challenging. However, we are here to assist in the selection process .
Tips for Choosing Interesting Economics Topics
Here are a few tips to help you choose an interesting and engaging economics topic for your essay:
Consider your interests : Choose a topic you are genuinely interested in, as this will make researching and writing your essay more enjoyable.
Look for current events : Economic issues are constantly changing, so consider selecting a topic that is currently relevant and in the news.
Be specific : Instead of choosing a general topic like “economic growth”, focus on a more specific aspect of it, such as “The impact of automation on economic growth.”
Consider different perspectives : Economic theories and policies often have multiple viewpoints. Try to find a topic that allows you to explore different perspectives.
Use a variety of sources : When researching your topic, make sure to consult a variety of sources to get a well-rounded view of your topic.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help : Your instructor or professor may have some great suggestions for topics or even better, ideas of a good direction for your research
Narrow down your field : Try to focus your area of research, the more you narrow it down, the more you’ll have to say about it.
Consider cross-disciplinary approaches : In some cases, it can be interesting to look at the same topic from different disciplines.
Keep in mind that there is a wealth of information and resources available, so take some time to explore and find a topic that aligns with your interests and skills.
Need help with your Economics extended essay?
From research and analysis to structuring and editing, our skilled mentors will be by your side, helping you craft an exceptional extended essay that not only meets the stringent IB criteria but also reflects your passion for economics studies.
List of Economics Essay Topics
An extended essay in economics is a research paper that provides an in-depth analysis of a specific economic topic. Here are a few examples of extended essay topics in economics that you might consider:
- The impact of monetary policy on inflation in a specific country.
- The economic effects of international trade agreements.
- The role of technology in economic growth and development.
- The relationship between income inequality and economic growth.
- The effects of government spending on economic output.
- The impact of natural resources on economic development in a specific region.
- The determinants of foreign direct investment in a developing country.
- The comparison of different economic systems and their effectiveness.
- The impact of the changing demographics on the labor market and social security systems.
- Impact of automation and artificial intelligence on employment and productivity.
- An analysis of the factors affecting housing prices in a specific city or region.
- The impact of taxes on small business growth and economic development.
- The effects of climate change on agriculture and food security.
- The role of education in economic development and growth.
- The determinants of consumer spending and savings behavior.
- An examination of the causes and consequences of currency fluctuations.
- The impact of immigration on labor markets and wages.
- The effects of government regulations on economic growth and productivity.
- The impact of globalization on income inequality.
- Analysis of the consequences of the debt on economic growth.
These topics are just a starting point, and you should work to narrow and focus your topic to make it more specific and unique. Also, your research should also be focused on your specific countries and take into account recent data and information while you keep it as up-to-date as possible. Also, it’s a good idea to try to find a topic that is interesting to you and that you have some background knowledge about. This will make the research and writing process more enjoyable and help you produce a more engaging and well-written essay.
To apply these economics extended essay topics to your essays, you should start by thoroughly researching the topic and gathering relevant information from a variety of sources. Here are a few steps to help guide your research and writing process:
Understand the assignment : Make sure you have a clear understanding of the assignment and the expectations of your instructor or professor.
Research : Gather information from various sources, including books, journal articles, newspapers, and reputable websites. Be sure to use a variety of sources to get a well-rounded view of your topic.
Analyze and interpret : Once you have gathered information, analyze and interpret the data to determine the key points and insights relevant to your topic.
Create a thesis statement : Use the information and insights gained from your research to create a clear and concise thesis statement that outlines the main argument or point you will be making in your essay.
Organize your essay : Organize your essay into clear and logical sections, including an introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion. Make sure each section flows smoothly and supports your thesis statement.
Use evidence to support your argument : Use the information and evidence gathered from your research to support your argument and provide examples to illustrate your points.
Cite your sources : Make sure to properly cite your sources according to the style guide required by your instructor or professor.
Revise and edit : Before submitting your essay, make sure to carefully review and edit your work to ensure that it is well-written and free of errors.
By following these steps, you will be able to effectively apply the topic to your essay and produce an essay that is well-researched, well-written, and well-argued.
Select your Economics EE research questions wisely
In conclusion, selecting an interesting and relevant topic is an essential first step in writing a successful economics extended essay. By choosing a topic that aligns with your interests and skills and utilizing a variety of sources to gather information, you can create an essay that is well-researched, well-written, and well-argued. However, writing a great essay also requires an understanding of the assignment, the use of evidence, and proper citation.
It’s also worth noting that one way for students to increase their chances of success in their essays is by seeking help from an essay writing service . A professional essay writing service can provide guidance and support in the research and writing process, helping students to produce a high-quality essay that meets the requirements and expectations of the assignment. The professional essay writer could help students in organizing their thoughts, drafting a proper structure, and implementing the needed research. They also can review and edit the final essay to ensure that it is free of errors and presents a strong argument.
In short, a well-structured, well-researched, and well-written essay is the key to success in economics, and utilizing a professional essay writing service is a viable option for students to help them achieve their academic goals.
Luke MacQuoid has extensive experience teaching English as a foreign language in Japan, having worked with students of all ages for over 12 years. Currently, he is teaching at the tertiary level. Luke holds a BA from the University of Sussex and an MA in TESOL from Lancaster University, both located in England. As well to his work as an IB Examiner and Master Tutor, Luke also enjoys sharing his experiences and insights with others through writing articles for various websites, including extendedessaywriters.com blog
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
- TTS Libguides
- Tanglin LibGuides
- Senior Library
IB Extended Essay (EE)
- Extended Essay Main Page
- Business & Management
- Computer Science
- Environmental Systems & Societies (ESS)
- Human Rights
- Information Technology in a Global Society (ITGS)
- Peace and Conflict Studies
- Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Visual Arts
- World Religions
- World Studies
Find a password
Excellent extended essays - economics, find example excellent essays, click on the subjects to browse the list of excellent extended essays..
- << Previous: Computer Science
- Next: English >>
- Last Updated: Oct 18, 2022 9:00 AM
- URL: https://libguides.tts.edu.sg/EE
629 Extended Essay Topics & Good Ideas
21 July 2023
Extended essay topics refer to a variety of subjects, each with its unique requirements and scopes. In the realm of English Literature, topics may involve analyzing themes or characters in specific texts. Science subjects, like Biology or Chemistry, may investigate hypotheses through laboratory work. In History, students may examine past events or societies. Mathematics may include proving a complex theory, while Computer Science may require developing a new algorithm. Economics topics may study market trends, while those in Arts may critique famous works. In turn, an extended essay is a comprehensive research project that demands deep engagement with the chosen topic. The key is to choose something both challenging and fascinating.
Best Extended Essay Topics
- Interpreting Dreams: An Analysis of Freud’s Theories
- Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Comparative Study of Intervention Strategies
- Quantum Mechanics’ Role in Advancing Computer Science
- Shakespeare’s Influence on Contemporary Drama
- Exploring the Role of Propaganda in World War II
- Impacts of Climate Change on Coral Reefs
- Architecture’s Evolution in Post-Colonial Africa
- Decoding Hieroglyphics: Understanding Ancient Egyptian Civilization
- Influence of Picasso on Abstract Art
- Origins of Blues Music: Cultural and Historical Context
- Examination of Feminism in Virginia Woolf’s Literature
- Cryptocurrency and Its Implications on Global Economy
- Astrophysics and the Mystery of Black Holes
- Cybersecurity in a Digitally Dependent Society
- Human Genome Project: Revolutionizing Biomedical Research
- Climate Change Policies: Comparative Study Between Europe and Asia
- Roles of Drones in Modern Warfare
- Implications of Veganism on Environmental Sustainability
- Examination of Greek Mythology in Modern Cinema
- Historical Evolution of the Olympic Games
- Deciphering Dystopia: Analysis of Orwell’s “1984”
- Fast Fashion Industry: Environmental Impact and Sustainability
- Plastic Pollution: Threat to Marine Biodiversity
- Quantum Computing: Potential Impact on Cybersecurity
- Cryptocurrency Regulation: A Comparative Study
- Exploring the Socio-Cultural Impact of Anime
Easy Extended Essay Topics
- Interpretation of Impressionist Paintings: Monet’s Masterpieces
- Biotechnology in Agriculture: Advancements and Ethical Implications
- Leonardo da Vinci: Intersect of Art and Science
- Behavioral Patterns in Primates: A Comparative Study
- Socio-Economic Consequences of the French Revolution
- Big Data and Artificial Intelligence: Transforming Business
- Mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle: Scientific Theories
- Concept of Time Travel in Science Fiction Literature
- Neurological Aspects of Deja Vu Phenomenon
- Paranormal Phenomena: A Psychological Perspective
- History of Alchemy: From Pseudo-Science to Chemistry
- Climate’s Impact on the Development of Ancient Civilizations
- Examining Social Hierarchy in Ant Colonies
- Genetic Engineering: Evaluating Its Ethical Implications
- Understanding Solar Flares and Their Impact on Earth
- Role of Puppets in Traditional Japanese Theatre
- Renaissance Architecture’s Influence on Modern Urban Planning
- Invasive Species: Impacts on Ecosystem Diversity
- Virtual Reality: Future of Entertainment and Education
- Analyzing the Artistic Styles in Manga and Comic Books
- Decoding Symbology in Da Vinci’s Artwork
- Psychological Impact of Social Media on Teenagers
- Roles of Probiotics in Human Gut Health
- Machine Learning and Its Applications in Finance
Interesting Extended Essay Topics
- Impacts of Pandemics on Global Economy: A Historical Perspective
- Cultural Significance of Fairy Tales in Child Development
- Examination of Bioluminescence in Deep Sea Creatures
- Postmodern Literature: Deconstruction and Interpretation
- Effects of Deforestation on Amazonian Indigenous Tribes
- Analysis of Women’s Representation in Classic Literature
- Exploring the Origins and Evolution of Jazz Music
- Nanotechnology’s Potential in Cancer Treatment
- Examination of Historical Accuracy in Hollywood’s War Films
- Impacts of the Industrial Revolution on European Society
- Understanding the Philosophical Themes in Nietzsche’s Works
- Social Impacts of Mass Surveillance: A Global Perspective
- Music Therapy and Its Effect on Mental Health
- Comparative Analysis of Democratic Systems in Different Countries
- Roles of Artificial Intelligence in Modern Transportation
- Evolution of Special Effects in Cinema
- Decoding the Socio-Political Themes in Banksy’s Art
- Effects of Genetically Modified Crops on Agricultural Practices
- Historical Evolution of Cryptography: From Caesar Cipher to Quantum Cryptography
- Roles of Symbiotic Relationships in Ecosystem Stability
- Exploration of Existential Themes in Kafka’s Novels
- Evaluating the Influence of the Spanish Conquest on Aztec Culture
- Urbanization and Its Effect on Biodiversity in Metropolitan Cities
- Analyzing the Concept of Heroism in Greek Mythology
International Baccalaureate (IB) Extended Essay Topics
- Influences of Climate Change on Coral Reefs and Their Biodiversity
- Rethinking Nuclear Energy: An Examination of Its Economic Implications
- Roles of Women in Shaping the Renaissance Art
- Analyzing the Impact of Digitalization on Global Marketing Strategies
- Exploring Ethical Implications of Genetic Engineering in Medicine
- Effect of Globalization on Cultural Identity: A Case Study of Japan
- Dynamics of Migrant Labor in the Global Economy
- Cybersecurity Measures and Their Efficacy in Preventing Data Breaches
- Impacts of the Spanish Flu Pandemic on Early 20th-Century Literature
- Understanding Gender Representation in Disney Animated Movies
- Evolution of Hip Hop: Social and Political Influences
- Architectural Innovations in Ancient Roman Civil Engineering
- Cryptocurrencies’ Influence on Modern Financial Systems
- Exploration of Quantum Computing: Potential and Challenges
- Sustainability in Fashion: Analyzing the Shift Toward Eco-Friendly Practices
- Revolutions in Modern Robotics and Their Effect on Manufacturing Industries
- Religious Symbolism in William Blake’s Poetry
- Mathematical Modeling in Predicting Climate Change Impacts
- Comparing the Democratic Transitions: South Africa and Spain
- Artificial Intelligence and Its Implications on Privacy
- Jazz: Tracing Its Roots and Cultural Significance
- Assessing Health Impacts of Air Pollution in Urban Areas
- Understanding the Development of the English Language Over Centuries
- Rise of eSports: Societal Impact and Future Prospects
Anthropology Extended Essay Topics
- Impacts of Globalization on Indigenous Cultures: A Case Study
- Evolution of Human Language: Tracing Linguistic Diversities
- Analyzing Gender Roles in Prehistoric Societies
- Intersection of Anthropology and Genetics: Human Variation
- Comparative Study of Kinship Systems Across Cultures
- Matriarchal Societies: An Exploration in Anthropological Perspectives
- Paleolithic Art as a Window into Early Human Behavior
- Ritualistic Practices: Investigating Their Societal Implications
- Anthropological Insights into Urbanism and City Planning
- Dynamics of Religion and Spirituality in Ancient Cultures
- Traditional Medicine and Its Role in Societal Health
- Cultural Adaptation to Climate Change: Historical Examples
- Examination of Societal Hierarchies in Ancient Civilizations
- Migration Patterns and Their Influence on Cultural Identity
- Roles of Folklore in Preserving Cultural Heritage
- Taboos and Social Norms: A Cross-Cultural Examination
- Cultural Impacts of Colonialism: A Multi-Region Analysis
- Symbolism in Ritualistic Artifacts Across Various Cultures
- Analyzing the Evolution of Marriage Institutions Across Societies
- Deciphering Power Structures through Anthropological Lenses
- Body Modifications and Their Cultural Significance: A Comparative Study
- Influence of Economy on the Development of Societies: An Anthropological Analysis
Biology Extended Essay Topics
- Genetic Influence on Human Behavior: An In-Depth Study
- Mitochondrial DNA: Unraveling Maternal Lineage
- Impact of Environmental Changes on Coral Reefs
- Phylogenetic Analysis: Uncovering Species Evolution
- Ecosystem Diversity in Tropical Rainforests
- Understanding Pathogenesis in Prion Diseases
- Roles of Bioluminescence in Marine Creatures
- Cross-species Viral Transmission: Factors and Risks
- Photosynthesis Efficiency in C3 and C4 Plants
- Epigenetics: Exploring the Effects of Lifestyle
- Symbiotic Relationships: Unearthing Mutualism in Nature
- Proteomics: Decoding Protein Function and Structure
- Resilience of Mangroves to Climate Change
- Pollinators and Floral Diversification: A Co-Evolution Study
- Antibiotic Resistance: Evaluating Threats to Global Health
- Cellular Senescence and Aging: A Comparative Study
- Microbiome Impact on Human Immune Response
- Neuroplasticity: Influence of Experience and Learning
- Zoonotic Diseases: Investigating the Role of Wildlife Trade
- Roles of Biotechnology in Sustainable Agriculture
- Bioinformatics: Mining Genomic Data for Insights
Business & Management Extended Essay Topics
- Analyzing Corporate Social Responsibility’s Impact on Brand Image
- Exploring the Role of Leadership Styles in Organizational Efficiency
- Effects of Digital Marketing Strategies on Consumer Behavior
- Profitability Assessment of Renewable Energy Investments
- Roles of Artificial Intelligence in Modern Business Decisions
- Implications of Remote Work Policies on Employee Productivity
- Impacts of Cultural Diversity on Team Performance in Multinational Corporations
- Case Study: Crisis Management Strategies During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Factors Influencing the Adoption of Sustainable Practices in Small Businesses
- Assessment of the Gig Economy’s Effect on Traditional Employment Models
- Evaluating Supply Chain Efficiency in the E-Commerce Sector
- Influence of Government Regulations on Startup Ecosystems
- Analysis of Gender Equality Policies in Fortune 500 Companies
- Disruption in Retail: The Rise and Impact of Direct-to-Consumer Brands
- Strategies for Managing Employee Turnover in High-Stress Industries
- Privacy Concerns in Data-Driven Business Models: A Risk Analysis
- Examination of Mergers and Acquisitions Strategies in the Tech Industry
- Investigation Into the Success Factors of Family-Owned Businesses
- Decoding the Psychology of Consumer Loyalty in the Digital Age
- Ethical Considerations in Marketing: Case Studies in the Cosmetics Industry
- The Intersection of Corporate Strategy and Environmental Sustainability
Chemistry Extended Essay Topics
- Analyzing the Impact of Temperature Variation on Reaction Rates
- Exploring Chiral Molecules and Their Importance in Pharmaceutical Drugs
- Investigating Quantum Mechanics and Its Role in Chemical Bonding
- Breakdown of Petroleum: Chemical Processes and Environmental Impacts
- Nanotechnology’s Role in Modern Chemistry: An In-Depth Analysis
- Nuclear Chemistry: Unraveling the Secrets of Radioactivity
- Fingerprinting Hydrocarbons: Environmental Implications of Oil Spills
- Synthetic Materials: Innovations in Polymer Chemistry
- Deciphering the Complexity of Enzyme Kinetics
- Quantum Tunneling: Its Crucial Role in Biochemical Reactions
- Corrosion Prevention Techniques: An Electrochemical Perspective
- Superconductors: Unveiling Their Unique Chemical Properties
- Color Chemistry: Unraveling the Mystery Behind Pigmentation
- Examination of Metal-Alloy Interactions in the Production of Coins
- Roles of Catalysts in Industrial Chemical Processes
- Green Chemistry: Its Impact on Sustainable Development
- Influence of Solvent Polarity on Spectroscopic Measurements
- Advanced Battery Technologies: A Chemical Analysis
- Nature’s Chemistry: Unraveling Biochemical Processes in Plants
- Hydrogen Fuel Cells: The Chemistry Behind Clean Energy
Computer Science Extended Essay Topics
- Quantum Computing: Exploring the Potential for Revolutionizing Computer Science
- Ethical Considerations in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
- Evaluating Blockchain Technology: Implications for Data Security
- Unveiling the Complexity Behind Search Algorithms
- Comparing Programming Languages: Performance Analysis of Python vs. Java
- The Impact of Data Mining on E-Commerce Business Models
- Cybersecurity: Strategies for Combating Phishing Attacks
- Machine Learning’s Role in Predictive Analytics
- Exploring Virtual Reality: The Future of Human-Computer Interaction
- Cloud Computing: Assessing Risks and Benefits for Small Businesses
- Optimization Techniques in Database Systems
- The Role of Neural Networks in Image Recognition
- Application of Genetic Algorithms in Problem-Solving
- Cryptography: The Mathematics Behind Secure Communications
- Biometrics: Exploring the Balance Between Security and Privacy
- IoT Devices: Assessing Vulnerabilities and Security Measures
- Deep Learning’s Influence on Natural Language Processing
- Scalability Challenges in Distributed Systems
- Analysis of Memory Management in Operating Systems
- Software Engineering: The Impact of Agile Development Methods
- Augmented Reality: Unleashing New Possibilities in Education
Economics Extended Essay Topics
- Exploring the Economic Consequences of Aging Populations in Developed Nations
- Income Inequality: Investigating Its Impact on Education Accessibility
- Analyzing the Role of Technology in Reducing Unemployment Rates
- Sustainable Development: Economic Considerations in Renewable Energy Adoption
- Fast-Fashion Industry: Unveiling the Hidden Costs of Cheap Clothing
- Economic Repercussions of Pandemics: A Case Study of COVID-19
- Unraveling the Socio-Economic Impacts of Autonomous Vehicles
- Influence of Trade Wars on International Supply Chains
- Internet Access and Its Correlation With Economic Development
- Implications of Artificial Intelligence on Labor Market Dynamics
- Investigating the Interplay Between Cultural Factors and Economic Growth
- Global Tourism: Evaluating the Economic Impact of Over-Tourism on Local Communities
- Assessing the Economic Viability of Space Commercialization
- Analyzing the Impact of Universal Basic Income on Poverty Reduction
- Child Labor in Developing Economies: Long-Term Consequences and Solutions
- Understanding the Economic Implications of Water Scarcity in Arid Regions
- Foreign Aid Effectiveness: A Comparative Study of Recipient Economies
- Digital Divide: Its Economic Ramifications on Rural Communities
- Interpreting the Economics of E-Waste Management and Recycling
- Unpacking the Relationship Between Corruption and Economic Development
- Sports Events and Their Economic Impact: A Case Study of the Olympic Games
English Extended Essay Topics
- Exploration of Symbolism in Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird”
- Societal Impacts Revealed Through Charles Dickens’ “Great Expectations”
- Critical Examination of Gender Roles in “Pride and Prejudice”
- Tracing Transformation in Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby”: From Ambition to Disillusionment
- Imagery and Foreshadowing in William Golding’s “Lord of the Flies”
- Empowerment and Oppression: The Dichotomy in “The Handmaid’s Tale”
- The Influence of Romanticism on Wordsworth’s Poetry
- Comparative Analysis of Propaganda Techniques in George Orwell’s “1984” and “Animal Farm”
- Unveiling the Psychological Depths in Edgar Allan Poe’s Short Stories
- Manifestation of Social Class Struggle in Jane Austen’s “Emma”
- Linguistic Evolution: A Study of Shakespeare’s Early and Later Plays
- Dystopian Societies: The Reflection in Aldous Huxley’s “Brave New World”
- Examining Racism and Prejudice in Mark Twain’s “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”
- Stephen King’s “The Shining”: A Journey Into Human Psyche and Horror
- Absurdism and the Search for Meaning in Albert Camus’ “The Stranger”
- Childhood and Morality: The Innocence Lost in J.D. Salinger’s “The Catcher in the Rye”
- Articulating Feminism: Role and Representation in Virginia Woolf’s “To the Lighthouse”
- Illusion vs. Reality: A Study of Tennessee Williams’ “A Streetcar Named Desire”
- Tracing Cultural Identity in Zora Neale Hurston’s “Their Eyes Were Watching God”
- Analyzing Existential Themes in Franz Kafka’s “The Metamorphosis”
- Contrasting Interpretations of Redemption in Dostoevsky’s “Crime and Punishment”
Environmental Systems & Societies Extended Essay Topics
- Climate Change: Assessing the Shifts in Arctic Ecosystems
- Effectiveness of Sustainable Farming Techniques in Developed Countries
- Evaluating the Consequences of Plastic Waste on Marine Life
- Energy Efficiency: Analysis of Solar Power Systems in Desert Climates
- Assessing the Role of Green Infrastructure in Urban Heat Island Mitigation
- Impacts of Deforestation: A Study on Amazon Rainforest
- Analyzing the Ecological Footprint of Vegan Diets vs. Omnivorous Diets
- Influence of Ocean Acidification on Coral Reef Systems
- Natural Disasters: The Relationship Between Climate Change and Increasing Hurricane Frequency
- Assessing the Sustainability of Electric Vehicles in Reducing Carbon Emissions
- Roles of Wetlands in Maintaining Ecosystem Balance
- The Link Between Population Growth and Water Scarcity in Arid Regions
- E-Waste Management: Strategies and Impacts on the Environment
- Investigating the Environmental Benefits of Vertical Farming Practices
- Biofuels: Evaluating the Feasibility as a Sustainable Energy Source
- Oceanic Plastic Pollution: Exploring Microplastic Accumulation in Seafood
- Impacts of Tourism on Coastal Ecosystems: A Case Study
- Light Pollution: Effects on Nocturnal Wildlife and Possible Mitigation Strategies
- Analysis of Air Quality Variations and Their Implications on Public Health
- Nuclear Power: Evaluation of Risks and Benefits for the Environment
- Sustainable Architectural Practices: Evaluating the Impact on Urban Environments
Ethics Extended Essay Topics
- Balancing Privacy and National Security: An Ethical Perspective
- Ethical Implications of Genetic Engineering: Redefining Human Evolution
- The Morality of Capital Punishment: An Ongoing Controversy
- Euthanasia Debate: Assessing the Right to Die with Dignity
- Animal Rights: Evaluating Ethical Questions in Animal Experimentation
- Consumerism and Ethics: The Moral Implications of Overconsumption
- Medical Ethics: Analysis of Informed Consent in Patient Care
- The Ethical Landscape of Artificial Intelligence: Potential Risks and Rewards
- Environmental Ethics: Interrogating the Moral Considerations in Climate Change
- Unraveling the Ethics of War: Just War Theory in Contemporary Conflicts
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Business Ethics in the 21st Century
- Ethics of Journalism: Truth, Objectivity, and the Public’s Right to Know
- Dissecting the Ethics of Philanthropy: Altruism vs. Self-Interest
- Technological Advances: Ethical Questions Surrounding Biohacking
- Deconstructing the Ethical Dimensions of Climate Change Mitigation
- Human Rights: The Moral Implications of Immigration Policies
- Plagiarism in Academia: An Ethical Dilemma in Intellectual Property
- Cybersecurity and Ethics: Navigating Privacy in the Digital Age
- Societal Standards: The Ethics of Beauty and Body Image in Media
- Globalization: Analyzing the Ethics of International Trade Practices
- Wealth Inequality: The Moral Implications of Income Disparity
- Racial Profiling: An Examination of Ethical Dilemmas in Law Enforcement
Film Extended Essay Topics
- Analyzing Visual Storytelling Techniques in Quentin Tarantino’s Cinematic Universe
- Aestheticization of Violence in Stanley Kubrick’s “A Clockwork Orange”
- Pioneering Special Effects: Evolution in “Star Wars” Franchise
- Socio-Cultural Impact of Bollywood Cinema on Indian Society
- Iconography of Federico Fellini: Surrealism in Italian Cinema
- French New Wave: A Paradigm Shift in Film Aesthetics
- Pervasive Propaganda: Politics and Cinema During the Cold War
- Animated Storytelling: Disney’s Influence on Children’s Perception of Gender Roles
- Documentaries as Social Commentary: An Analysis of Michael Moore’s Works
- Realism and Romanticism: Dichotomy in Jane Austen Film Adaptations
- Postmodernism in David Lynch’s Films: “Mulholland Drive” as a Case Study
- Depiction of Artificial Intelligence in Sci-Fi Movies: Exploring “Ex Machina”
- Changing Portrayal of Vampires in Cinema: From “Nosferatu” to “Twilight”
- Influence of German Expressionism on Tim Burton’s Stylistic Approach
- Transhumanism Explored in the “Matrix” Trilogy: A Philosophical Investigation
- Cinematic Interpretation of Mental Illness: A Study of “A Beautiful Mind”
- Juxtaposing Reality and Fiction: “The Truman Show” and Media’s Power
- Music’s Role in Enhancing Narrative Drama: A Study on “Amadeus”
- Technological Evolution in Cinema: Impact on Movie Experience
- Superheroes and Society: A Critical Look at the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Ethical Dilemmas in Bioethics Films: Dissecting “Gattaca”
- Silence as a Narrative Device: Examining “A Quiet Place” and Its Sequel
Gender Studies Extended Essay Topics
- Dissecting the Gender Wage Gap: Causes and Solutions
- Queer Theory: Intersectionality and Identity Politics
- Patriarchy and Power: Examining Their Symbiotic Relationship
- Cyberfeminism: The Internet as a Platform for Gender Equality
- Biological Determinism: Challenging Traditional Gender Notions
- Implications of Single-Sex Education on Gender Development
- Gender Stereotypes in Advertising: Impact on Society
- Masculinity in Crisis: Modern Conceptions and Their Consequences
- Sport’s Roles in Shaping Gender Identity
- Influence of Parenting Styles on Gender Socialization
- Reassessing Gender Biases in Language
- Sexuality Education: Navigating Through a Gender Spectrum
- Reproductive Rights: A Battle Ground of Gender Politics
- LGBTQ+ Representation in Literature: Advancement or Stereotype?
- Toxic Masculinity: Its Origins and Impact on Society
- Feminist Movements: Catalysts for Global Gender Equality
- Domestic Roles: Evolution and Gender Associations
- Women in Leadership: Barriers and Breakthroughs
- Fashion Industry’s Role in Reinforcing Gender Norms
- Men’s Rights Movement: Controversial Claims and Their Validity
- Sexual Harassment: A Perennial Issue of Gender Inequality
Geography Extended Essay Topics
- Urbanization’s Effect on Local Biodiversity in Developed Countries
- Understanding the Relationship Between Soil Composition and Crop Yield
- Geopolitical Consequences of Melting Polar Ice Caps
- Impact of Desertification on Sub-Saharan African Nations
- Migration Patterns: Influence of Economic Inequality on Population Shifts
- Roles of Monsoons in South Asian Agriculture
- Spatial Analysis: Technological Advancements in Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Sustainable Development: Strategies to Balance Urban Growth and Environmental Preservation
- Geothermal Energy’s Potential: Iceland as a Case Study
- Climate Change’s Effect on Australian Bushfires: A Detailed Investigation
- Analysis of the Physical Features Influencing Japan’s Isolation
- Roles of Rivers in Shaping Ancient Civilizations
- Urban Sprawl and its Ecological Impact on American Cities
- Depletion of the Amazon Rainforest: Causes and Consequences
- Comparative Study on Coastal Management Techniques Around the World
- Seismic Activity Patterns: Evaluating Earthquake-prone Zones Globally
- Deforestation’s Impact on Indigenous Communities in the Amazon Basin
- Hydroelectric Power and Its Environmental Impact: Canada’s Experience
- Geographic Factors Influencing Wine Production in French Vineyards
- Impacts of Climate Change on Traditional Farming Practices in Peru
- Geographic Investigation into the Distribution of Rare Earth Minerals
Health & Nutrition Extended Essay Topics
- Sugary Drinks: Consequences for Adolescent Health
- Assessing the Nutritional Significance of Organic Foods
- Ketogenic Diet: Evaluating Its Effects on Weight Loss
- Childhood Obesity: An Examination of Underlying Causes
- Iron Deficiency: Unveiling the Hidden Global Impact
- Meditation’s Influence on Physical and Psychological Health
- Superfoods: Understanding Their Role in Preventing Chronic Diseases
- Nutrigenomics: Decoding Personalized Nutrition for Optimal Health
- Benefits of Hydration: Unraveling the Science Behind Water Intake
- Sleep Quality: Its Relationship With Nutritional Factors
- The Link Between Mental Stress and Nutrient Absorption
- Microplastics in Seafood: Gauging the Health Implications
- Antioxidants: A Detailed Review of Their Role in Aging
- Gluten-Free Diets: Evaluating Benefits Beyond Celiac Disease
- Genetically Modified Foods: Analyzing Potential Health Risks
- Dairy Consumption: Its Impact on Bone Health
- Dangers of Processed Foods: A Comprehensive Study
- Phytonutrients: Uncovering Their Impact on Human Immunity
- Salt Intake: Assessing Its Relationship With Hypertension
- Whole Grains: Exploring Their Influence on Digestive Health
History Extended Essay Topics
- Unveiling the Mysteries of the Mayan Civilization: An In-Depth Analysis
- Comparing the Imperial Policies: British Empire vs. Spanish Empire
- The Paris Commune of 1871: Catalyst for Revolutionary Movements
- Roman Influence on Modern Western Architecture: A Comprehensive Study
- Reformation Movements: Shaping the Modern Christian Faith
- Influence and Legacy of Napoleon Bonaparte in European Politics
- African Cultures: A Study on Pre-Colonial Kingdoms
- Shogunate Rule: The Feudal System of Japan
- Enlightenment Philosophers: Revolutionizing European Thought
- Rise of the Ottoman Empire: Factors and Consequences
- Evolution of Warfare: A Study From the Middle Ages to World War I
- French Revolution: Causes, Impacts, and Lessons
- American Civil War: Interpreting Slavery’s Role
- Silk Road Influence on East-West Cultural Exchange
- Decoding the Holocaust: Analyzing Its Global Repercussions
- Mongol Empire’s Impact on Eurasian Trade and Communication
- Exploration of Mesoamerican Cultures: Aztecs, Mayans, and Incas
- Witch Trials in Europe: A Reflection of Fear and Superstition
- Cold War: Unraveling the Ideological Tensions Between East and West
- Korean War: Assessing Its Long-Term Effects on the Korean Peninsula
- Vietnam War: Evaluating the Domestic Uprisings in the United States
- World War II: Dissecting the Causes and Global Impact
Literature Extended Essay Topics
- Examining the Role of Femininity in Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice”
- Comparing the Depiction of War in Ernest Hemingway’s “Farewell to Arms” and Erich Maria Remarque’s “All Quiet on the Western Front”
- Exploration of the Hero’s Journey in J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings”
- Insights Into Absurdism Through Albert Camus’s “The Stranger”
- Assessment of Revenge Themes in Alexandre Dumas’s “The Count of Monte Cristo”
- Interpretation of Colonialism in Joseph Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness”
- Gothic Elements in Bram Stoker’s “Dracula”: A Thorough Investigation
- Analyzing the American Dream Through F. Scott Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby”
- Uncovering Identity Conflicts in Alice Walker’s “The Color Purple”
- Influences of Victorian Society on Charles Dickens’s “Great Expectations”
- Analyzing Magical Realism in Gabriel García Márquez’s “One Hundred Years of Solitude”
- Exploring Environmental Themes in Rachel Carson’s “Silent Spring”
- Thematic Analysis of Isolation in Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein”
- Examination of Satire in Jonathan Swift’s “Gulliver’s Travels”
- Dissecting Themes of Racism in Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird”
- Investigating Futurism in Aldous Huxley’s “Brave New World”
- Studying the Role of Individualism in Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged”
- Evaluating Paranoia Themes in George Orwell’s “1984”
- Scrutinizing the Dystopian Elements in Margaret Atwood’s “The Handmaid’s Tale”
- The Symbolism of Nature in Emily Bronte’s “Wuthering Heights”
- Decoding Absurdist Elements in Samuel Beckett’s “Waiting for Godot”
- Assessing the Role of Love in William Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet”
Mathematics Extended Essay Topics
- Fractal Geometry: Exploring Patterns in Nature
- Game Theory: Predictive Models in Economics and Politics
- Evolution of Calculus: Integral Role in Scientific Developments
- Knot Theory: Mathematical Implications for DNA Structures
- Probability Theory: Influence on Decision-Making Processes
- Quantum Computing: Role of Linear Algebra
- Hyperbolic Geometry: Implications for Theoretical Physics
- Topology: Mathematical Basis of M.C. Escher’s Artworks
- Mathematical Logic: Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorems
- Fibonacci Sequence: Presence and Significance in Natural Phenomena
- Graph Theory: Applications in Social Network Analysis
- Chaos Theory: Predicting Weather Patterns
- Number Theory: Exploring Twin Prime Conjecture
- Complex Numbers: Quantum Mechanics Applications
- Euler’s Formula: Linking Five Fundamental Mathematical Constants
- Riemann Hypothesis: Consequences for Prime Number Distribution
- Mathematical Modelling: Predicting Population Dynamics
- Set Theory: Examining the Continuum Hypothesis
- Lie Groups: Role in Particle Physics
- Non-Euclidean Geometry: Revolutionizing Perception of Space
- Algebraic Topology: Insights Into Data Analysis
Media Studies Extended Essay Topics
- Digital Divide: Socio-Economic Impacts on Information Access
- Deepfake Technology: The Challenge to Media Authenticity
- Print to Digital: Evolution of Newspapers in the 21st Century
- Artificial Intelligence in Journalism: Benefits and Pitfalls
- Film Adaptations: Interpretation vs. Original Text
- Cyberbullying: The Dark Side of Social Networks
- Body Image: Media Representation and Its Impact on Adolescents
- Fake News Phenomenon: The Influence on Public Opinion
- Memes and Virality: The New Language of Digital Media
- Reality Television: Exploration of Cultural Impact
- Cinematic Representations of Historical Events: Accuracy vs. Dramatization
- Podcasting Boom: Rise and Influence in Modern Media
- Streaming Wars: The Impact on the Television Industry
- Photojournalism Ethics: The Power of Images in News Media
- Music Piracy: Effect on the Music Industry in the Digital Age
- Animation as an Art Form: Impact and Acceptance in Mainstream Media
- Advertising Psychology: Subliminal Messages in Modern Marketing
- LGBTQ+ Representation in Television: Progress and Backlash
- Roles of Women in Film: Progress in Gender Equality
- Video Games as Storytelling Medium: Narrative and Player Interaction
- Comic Book Culture: From Niche to Mainstream Media
- Influence of Western Media on Global Pop Culture: The Hollywood Impact
Music Extended Essay Topics
- Classical Compositions: Influence of Bach’s Techniques on Modern Music
- Psychoacoustic Effects: Music’s Influence on Human Behavior
- Sonic Landscaping: The Use of Atmospherics in Ambient Music
- Lyrics’ Roles: Expressing Social Issues Through Hip-Hop
- Beethoven’s Symphonies: Revolutionary Techniques and Their Influence
- Harmonization in Jazz: Unpacking Coltrane’s Unique Approaches
- Vivaldi’s Four Seasons: Examination of Baroque Music Style
- Sonic Influence: Music’s Role in Cinematic Narratives
- Opera’s Evolution: Tracing the Shift From Baroque to Romantic Period
- Cross-Cultural Influences: Examining Salsa’s African and European Roots
- K-Pop Phenomenon: Analyzing Its Global Impact
- Musical Iconography: Symbolism in Mozart’s Operas
- Dissecting Punk: Deconstructing Its Socio-Political Messages
- Rhythm Development: West African Influence on American Blues
- Genre Fusion: Exploration of Reggae’s Influence on Hip-Hop
- Melodic Intricacies: Debussy’s Revolutionary Approach to Music
- Grunge Revolution: Examination of Seattle’s Music Scene in the 90s
- Mystical Allure: The Role of Spirituality in Gospel Music
- Compositional Innovations: Understanding Schoenberg’s Atonality”
- Artistry Unveiled: The Impact of Visual Elements in Album Art
- Technology’s Role: The Emergence and Impact of Electronic Dance Music
Philosophy Extended Essay Topics
- Significance of Nietzsche’s Will to Power: A Deep Exploration
- Descartes and the Philosophy of Mind: An Analytical Approach
- Aristotle’s Virtue Ethics: A Modern Appraisal
- Unveiling the Metaphysical Implications of Quantum Physics
- Phenomenology and the Essence of Human Experience
- Kant’s Categorical Imperative: Critical Re-Evaluation
- Embodying Freedom: Sartre’s Existentialism and Its Relevance Today
- Dialectics of Hegel: Deciphering Complexities
- Simulacra and Simulation: Baudrillard’s Postmodern Reality
- Unraveling Wittgenstein’s Language Games: A Thorough Analysis
- Schopenhauer’s Concept of Will: An In-Depth Study
- Quandaries of Free Will: Revisiting Determinism
- Spinoza’s Pantheism and Its Contemporary Implications
- Habermas’ Communicative Action: A Practical Appraisal
- Uncovering Rawls’ Theory of Justice: A Critical Review
- Political Power and Machiavelli’s “The Prince”: An Exploration
- Utility and Morality: Assessing Bentham’s Utilitarianism
- Exploring Heidegger’s Being and Time: Existentialism and Ontology
- Stoicism in the Modern World: A Comprehensive Analysis
- Feminism Through the Lens of Simone de Beauvoir
- Epistemology Unveiled: Understanding Locke’s Theory of Knowledge
- Poststructuralism: Decoding Derrida’s Deconstruction
Physics Extended Essay Topics
- Analyzing Black Holes: Their Formation, Structure, and Effects on Space-Time
- Quantum Entanglement: Unveiling the Intricacies of Particle Relationships
- The Higgs Boson: Its Role and Significance in the Standard Model
- Exploration of Dark Matter: Implications for Galactic Formations
- Light Speed Variability: Investigating Possible Factors and Consequences
- Stellar Evolution: A Detailed Study of Star Lifecycles
- Effects of Quantum Tunneling on Microscopic Scales
- Thermodynamics in Isolated Systems: Deepening the Understanding
- Relativity Theory: Delving Into Its Consequences on Space Travel
- Solar Flares: Their Impact on Earth’s Magnetic Field
- Neutrino Oscillations: Dissecting Their Quantum Mechanical Phenomena
- Fusion Energy: Examining Its Feasibility and Potential Impact
- Electromagnetism in Quantum Optics: Unraveling the Relations
- Tidal Forces: Their Role in Celestial Body Interactions
- Plasma Physics: Analyzing the Fourth State of Matter
- Gravitational Waves: Their Detection and Implications
- String Theory: Evaluating Its Contribution to Modern Physics
- Bose-Einstein Condensate: Investigating Its Unique Properties
- Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation: Decoding the Echoes of the Big Bang
- Nanotechnology: The Role of Physics in Its Evolution
- Quantum Gravity: Scrutinizing the Unification of Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity
Politics Extended Essay Topics
- Evaluating the Political Consequences of Climate Change Policies
- Dissecting the Impact of Brexit on European Union Stability
- Unearthing the Causes of Political Apathy Among Millennials
- Cybersecurity Threats and Their Influence on Global Politics
- Immigration Policies: Evaluating Their Socio-Political Impact
- Intersectionality and Its Effect on Contemporary Political Discourse
- Trade Wars: Unraveling Their Economic and Political Implications
- Roles of Women Leaders in the Pursuit of Global Peace
- Impacts of Corruption on Developing Economies’ Political Stability
- Scrutinizing the Role of Lobbying in American Politics
- Influence of Religion on Middle Eastern Politics
- Investigating the Political Aftermath of Major Terrorist Attacks
- The Nexus Between Climate Justice and Political Activism
- Effects of Political Satire on Public Perception of Politicians
- Decolonization and Its Long-Term Political Impact in Africa
- Analyzing the Relationship Between Military Spending and International Relations
- Diplomacy in the Nuclear Age: Assessing Its Efficacy
- Unpacking the Political Implications of the Rise of Artificial Intelligence
- Evaluating the Consequences of Resource Scarcity on International Politics
- Political Autonomy Movements: Exploring Their Causes and Effects
Psychology Extended Essay Topics
- Perception of Reality: Influence of Social Media on Adolescents
- Cognitive Development: The Role of Play in Early Childhood
- Emotional Intelligence: An Examination of Its Impact on Leadership
- Biopsychology: Understanding the Effects of Sleep Deprivation on Mental Health
- Cultural Variations: Impact on Interpersonal Communication Styles
- Parenting Styles: Their Consequences on Child Behavior and Development
- Depression in Adolescents: Exploring the Impact of Social Isolation
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Efficacy of Different Treatment Approaches
- Behavior Analysis: Autism Spectrum Disorder and Applied Techniques
- Music Therapy: Evaluating Its Effectiveness in Managing Anxiety
- Bystander Effect: Analysis of Underlying Psychological Mechanisms
- Psycholinguistics: The Role of Language in Cognitive Processes
- Understanding the Psychology of Eating Disorders: Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia
- Psychotherapy Approaches: Exploring Efficacy in Treating Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Humanistic Psychology: Examining Its Applications in Modern Psychotherapy
- Consequences of Chronic Pain: A Study on Psychological Adaptation
- Stereotypes and Prejudice: Exploring Their Origins and Effects
- Memory: How Traumatic Events Influence Recall
- Nature vs. Nurture: The Debate in Personality Development
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder: Unpacking Its Psychological Impact
- Influences of Environment and Genetics on Intelligence Quotient (IQ)
- Romantic Relationships: Understanding Attachment Styles and Their Effects
Sociology Extended Essay Topics
- Globalization’s Influence on Traditional Cultural Practices
- Assimilation versus Multiculturalism: An Exploration in Contemporary Societies
- Intersectionality and Its Role in Modern Feminism
- Educational Inequality: The Socio-Economic Factors at Play
- Effects of Income Inequality on Community Health Outcomes
- Cyberbullying’s Pervasiveness and Its Societal Consequences
- Pop Culture’s Shaping of Youth Identity
- Urbanization’s Effect on Community Structure and Social Interaction
- Racial Stereotypes in Media: A Comprehensive Analysis
- Deviance and Crime: Sociological Perspectives on their Roots
- Marriage Patterns Among Different Socio-Economic Classes
- The Role of Religion in Structuring Modern Societies
- Refugees’ Integration Into Host Societies: Barriers and Facilitators
- Disparity in Healthcare Access: The Underlying Social Causes
- The Digital Divide: Exploring Socio-Economic Factors and Consequences
- LGBTQ+ Rights Movement: Progress and Remaining Challenges
- Changing Gender Roles in the 21st Century
- Post-Industrial Society’s Influence on the Family Structure
- Media Representation of Marginalized Groups: Impact and Implications
- Ethnic Identity Formation within Diaspora Communities
- Prison System’s Effect on Social Stratification
Visual Arts Extended Essay Topics
- Interpreting Symbolism in Renaissance Portraiture
- Dissecting Minimalism: Impact on Contemporary Visual Art
- Cubism’s Influence on Modern Design Aesthetics
- Photorealism: Technique, Challenges, and Impact
- Juxtaposing Abstract and Realism in Visual Art
- Byzantine Mosaics: Preservation and Symbolism
- Impressionism: Affecting Viewer Perception Through Brushwork
- Mural Graffiti: Socio-Political Messages in Street Art
- Surrealism’s Roles in Challenging Reality Perception
- Ephemeral Art: Exploring Its Transience and Significance
- Pop Art’s Reflection on Consumer Culture
- Stained Glass: Religious Iconography and Aesthetics
- Postmodernism’s Critique of Traditional Art Theories
- Disruptive Power of Dadaism in the Early 20th Century
- Pointillism’s Manipulation of Optical Mixing
- Kinetic Sculpture: Dynamic Movement in Static Forms
- Fauvism’s Bold Use of Color and Form
- Romanticism’s Depiction of Nature and Emotion
- Neoclassicism: Celebrating Antiquity Through Visual Art
- Feminist Art: Challenging Patriarchy and Stereotypes
- Video Art: Exploring Temporality and Narration
- Indigenous Art: Preservation of Cultural Heritage Through Visual Expression
World Religion Studies Extended Essays Topics
- Analyzing Confucianism’s Impact on Chinese Social and Political Structures
- The Intersection of Spirituality and Mental Health: Perspectives From Various Religious Traditions
- The Role of Rituals in Indigenous African Religions: An Anthropological Approach
- Liberation Theology: Examining Christianity’s Influence on Social Justice Movements
- Afterlife Concept in Ancient Greek and Norse Mythology
- Exploring the Symbolism of Mandalas in Tibetan Buddhism
- Religious Syncretism in Latin America: Blending Indigenous and Catholic Beliefs
- Significance of Pilgrimage in Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism
- The Impact of Taoism on Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Music and Chanting in Religious Rituals: Comparative Analysis
- Sufism: Mystical Dimensions of Islam
- Karma in Hinduism and Buddhism: A Comparative Study
- Religious Iconography’s Influence on Artistic Expression
- Cultural Identity Fostered by Religious Festivals
- Historical Development of Sikhism and Its Teachings
- Animal Rights Ethics: Perspectives From Different Religions
- Prophecy in Abrahamic Religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
- Rites of Passage: Comparative Analysis of Coming-of-Age Ceremonies
- Evolution of Religious Tolerance in Western Societies
- Influence of Zen Buddhism on Japanese Tea Ceremony
- Divine Love in Christianity, Hinduism, and Sufism
Explore These Fascinating Articles
353 hamlet essay topics & ideas, 520 illustration essay topics & good ideas.
Website by Mark Johnson & Alex Smith
Updated 29 November 2023
InThinking Subject Sites
Subscription websites for IB teachers & their classes
Find out more
- IBDP Biology
- IBDP Business Management
- IBDP Chemistry
- IBDP English A Literature
- IBDP English A: Language & Literature
- IBDP English B
- IBDP Environmental Systems & Societies
- IBDP French B
- IBDP Geography
- IBDP German A: Language & Literature
- IBDP History
- IBDP Maths: Analysis & Approaches
- IBDP Maths: Applications & Interpretation
- IBDP Physics
- IBDP Psychology
- IBDP Spanish A
- IBDP Spanish Ab Initio
- IBDP Spanish B
- IBDP Visual Arts
- IBMYP English Language & Literature
- IBMYP Resources
- IBMYP Spanish Language Acquisition
- IB Career-related Programme
- IB School Leadership
Disclaimer : InThinking subject sites are neither endorsed by nor connected with the International Baccalaureate Organisation.
InThinking Subject Sites for IB Teachers and their Classes
Supporting ib educators.
- Comprehensive help & advice on teaching the IB diploma.
- Written by experts with vast subject knowledge.
- Innovative ideas on ATL & pedagogy.
- Detailed guidance on all aspects of assessment.
Developing great materials
- More than 14 million words across 24 sites.
- Masses of ready-to-go resources for the classroom.
- Dynamic links to current affairs & real world issues.
- Updates every week 52 weeks a year.
Integrating student access
- Give your students direct access to relevant site pages.
- Single student login for all of your school’s subscriptions.
- Create reading, writing, discussion, and quiz tasks.
- Monitor student progress & collate in online gradebook.
Meeting schools' needs
- Global reach with more than 200,000 users worldwide.
- Use our materials to create compelling unit plans.
- Save time & effort which you can reinvest elsewhere.
- Consistently good feedback from subscribers.
For information about pricing, click here
See what users are saying about our Subject Sites:
Find out more about our Student Access feature:
- Extended essay
- The IB core
Introduction to the extended essay in economics
Many of you will be aware of the extended essay and what it includes. The extended essay consists of a 4000 (maximum) word essay on a topic of your choosing and concludes with a viva voce or short interview to confirm the candidates level of competence in the topic area chosen. You are also required to provide two additional reflections during the process.
The extended essay provides you with the opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge on a particular topic or area of study and is chosen from a list of approved subjects.
Before starting work on the essay you are advised to complete the following tasks:
- Read the assessment criteria carefully.
- Where possible ask your teacher or IB coordinator to let you read previously completed essays in economics. Many school libraries keep an archive of extended essays previously written by students.
- Work on a research question and discuss this with your supervisor. This is a very important part of the process. A good research question will go a long way to helping you towards a good finished essay. A bad research question; one that is too broad in scope or where original data is difficult to obtain will make it significantly more difficult to achieve a high score in your finished essay.
- Decide how you will collect the research that you need for your essay and check the validity of this research with your supervisor.
- Write down a brief structure for your essay and discuss this with your supervisor before sitting down to write your essay.
How to choose a subject and research question to study?
The first piece of advice must be to pick a subject and a research question that is something you will enjoy researching and writing about. The EE involves a considerable amount of work - approximately 40 hours as an average.
In terms of selecting a research topic, why not ask the following question: ‘What is it that I am interested in? What research question am I genuinely interested in finding out?’. What topic(s) do I enjoy?
What to do next?
Having completed all the preparation that you need, having written your research question and essay plan and had all of this approved by your supervisor you are ready to begin.
The essay should be no more than 4000 words in length but this does not include the following:
Contents page, acknowledgements, formulas, calculations, diagrams, tables, the bibliography, citations and references.
Essays can actually achieve a reasonable score just by following these simple rules:
- state the research question
- analyse your results
- discuss your results
- have a conclusion
- keep to about 4000 words
- present it well
- cite all sources appropriately.
What makes a good title in economics?
Opportunities for analysis
The topic that you chose should provide an opportunity for you to demonstrates some critical analysis of the information that is gathered. You should avoid any topic that depend entirely on summarizing secondary data, because this leads to an essay that is overly descriptive in nature. A good way of making your essay more unique is to restrict the scope of the essay, so that it focuses on, for example, a specific business, area or demographic.
Suitable areas of economics
Macroeconomics topics can be chosen, but any research question must be narrowed to a particular part of the economy and is not on the economy as a whole. An extended essay on economic development would be recommended but the research question would need to relate to a particular aspect of development or a limited area. It would not be suitable, for example, to examine the effect of some government policy on the development of the whole economy.
The following are some examples of extended essay titles which are suitable for use an economics extended essay. You will notice that each of these are locally based on an area in which the student is familiar and allow the candidate to investigate their own primary research, applying it to conventional economic theory. You will also be expected to complete secondary research as part of their essay. You should also formulate your own critical arguments as well as construct a conclusion, consistent with the findings displayed during the main body of the essay.
- What is the relationship between the volume of livestock and the wholesale price of meat in Erzurum county?
- The impact of the 2018 rise in minimum wage on employment levels in London’s catering and restaurant industry?
- What is the MPC (marginal propensity to consume) of guest workers working on a construction site in Singapore?
- To what extent do the ski lodge hotels in Palandoken practise John Nash’s game theory when setting prices during the tourist season?
- How has the declining value of the £ affected the Airbnb market in Leeds?
- What is the PED for tobacco products amongst different age groups in Istanbul, Turkey. How might this influence government policy aimed at reducing consumption of tobacco products?
Final questions to ask yourself before deciding on your RQ
Before answering this question, consider how you might collect information to answer your question. For example, how confident are you that you can actually access the information? Remember that any information gained from businesses might be confidential. Some economic questions are also difficult to research because isolating the particular variable is difficult.
When conducting primary research you need to very clear about who your sample frame is going to be and can you get access to those people? For instance when completing research on the viability of solar panels, your sample frame must be those potential purchasers e.g. those who own their own home with a roof large enough to accommodate it and not just your friends and family.
Can this topic be completed in 4000 words?
4,000 words may seem like a dauntingly large amount but you will be surprised how quickly the words go. Some topics are far too broad in their scope to tackle in 4,000 words and some economic theory maybe too complex to cover adequately within the word limit. Try to stay clear of topics more suited to essays in Business Management or Psychology and you will be disadvantaged, unless you also take those subjects as part of your Diploma. Some of these topics would be more suited to a multi-disciplinary approach of World Studies and combining Economics and Psychology.
You also need to be cognisant that this is a project where you should spend around 40 hours. For some topic it would be impossible to survey enough interested people, without giving up your entire summer vacation.
Is your topic academically rigorous enough?
One of the skills of writing the essay is connecting to an area of the syllabus with sufficient complexity so you can demonstrate your ability to critically evaluate and analyse like an economist. Remember that essays which are too descriptive are unlikely to score well.
For more information about completing an extended essay in economics including a sampler essay read the remainder of the pages in this section.
Candidates should expect to spend approximately 40 hours completing their essay.
Economics Extended Essay Topic Ideas for IB Students
Table of contents
- Writing Metier
The International Baccalaureate Extended Essay in Economics can cover a wide range of topics. However, the choice of topic must enable the student to apply a range of economic theories and concepts to address a research question.
This will be a long read, but everyone will likely find a good idea of the topic and research question for their Economics extended essay.
Extended essay in Economics topic categories
The IB Economics EE is expected to demonstrate a good understanding of the subject and the application of economic theory to real-world situations .
Btw…if you need assistance, you can always count on our extended essay writing service at Writing Metier. We will help you with your Economics extended essay.
Here are 12 potential categories for IB Economics Extended Essay topics:
- Market Structures (e.g., Monopolies, Oligopolies)
- Market Failure (e.g., Externalities, Public Goods)
- Elasticity (e.g., Price Elasticity of Demand/Supply)
- Economic Cycles (e.g., Business Cycles, Economic Growth)
- Fiscal Policy (e.g., Government Spending, Taxation)
- Monetary Policy (e.g., Interest Rates, Money Supply)
- Trade Policies (e.g., Tariffs, Trade Agreements)
- Exchange Rates (e.g., Currency Fluctuations, Foreign Exchange Markets)
- Balance of Payments (e.g., Current Account, Capital Account)
- Measures of Development (e.g., GDP, HDI)
- Poverty and Inequality (e.g., Income Distribution, Poverty Alleviation Strategies)
- Sustainable Development (e.g., Environmental Sustainability, Social Sustainability)
- Consumer Behavior (e.g., Bounded Rationality, Heuristics)
- Nudge Theory (e.g., Choice Architecture, Incentives)
- Market Behavior (e.g., Bubbles, Herd Behavior)
- Wage Determination (e.g., Minimum Wage, Bargaining)
- Labor Markets (e.g., Unemployment, Labor Mobility)
- Human Capital (e.g., Education, Training)
- Resource Management (e.g., Renewable Resources, Conservation)
- Environmental Policies (e.g., Carbon Tax, Emissions Trading)
- Cost-Benefit Analysis (e.g., Environmental Impact Assessments)
- Healthcare Systems (e.g., Insurance, Public vs. Private Provision)
- Health Outcomes (e.g., Life Expectancy, Quality of Life)
- Health Policies (e.g., Regulation, Subsidies)
- Government Expenditure (e.g., Public Goods, Welfare)
- Taxation (e.g., Progressive vs. Regressive Taxes)
- Fiscal Federalism (e.g., Central vs. Local Government Finance)
- Firm Behavior (e.g., Mergers, Acquisitions)
- Market Regulation (e.g., Antitrust Laws, Competition Policy)
- Innovation and Technology (e.g., R&D, Patents)
- Financial Markets (e.g., Stock Markets, Bond Markets)
- Financial Instruments (e.g., Derivatives, Futures)
- Financial Regulation (e.g., Banking Regulation, Financial Crises)
- Economic Thought (e.g., Classical, Keynesian)
- Economic History (e.g., Historical Economic Development, Historical Crises)
- Methodological Issues (e.g., Econometrics, Qualitative vs. Quantitative Analysis)
Each of these categories can be further refined into specific research questions suitable for an extended essay . Below, I’ll be providing some ideas for your ease.
The choice of topic should be such that it allows for a systematic investigation that can be effectively analyzed using economic theories and data.
It’s also essential to ensure that the topic is narrow enough to be addressed within the word limit and broad enough to allow for an in-depth analysis.
Economics IB EE Topic Ideas and Research Questions
Starting with Microeconomics, we’re zooming in on the nitty-gritty of individual markets and how they tick.
Microeconomics Topics and Research Questions
We’ve got our classic battles of market structures—monopolies holding the fort, oligopolies playing chess with each other, and perfect competition being the ideal we rarely meet.
Then there’s the whole drama of market failure, where things get messy with externalities and public goods, and no one’s quite sure who should clean up the mess.
And elasticity? It’s like the pulse check of the market, seeing how it reacts to price changes. It’s all about the small scale, the details, the fine print.
Topic: The impact of local monopolies on consumer choice in rural areas.
Research Question: How do local monopolies in rural areas affect consumer choices and prices?
Topic: The competitive strategies of oligopolies in the smartphone industry.
Research Question: What competitive strategies do oligopolies in the smartphone industry use to maintain market share?
Topic: The prevalence of monopolistic competition in the fast-food industry.
Research Question: How does monopolistic competition influence product variety in the fast-food industry?
Topic: The role of government in addressing negative externalities in urban transport.
Research Question: How effective are government interventions in reducing traffic congestion as a negative externality in urban areas?
Topic: The effectiveness of public goods provision in rural education.
Research Question: How does the provision of education as a public good affect educational outcomes in rural areas?
Topic: The impact of plastic bag taxes on environmental externalities.
Research Question: Have plastic bag taxes significantly reduced the environmental externalities associated with plastic waste?
Topic: Price elasticity of demand for organic produce in urban markets.
Research Question: How does the price elasticity of demand for organic produce affect consumer purchasing patterns in urban markets?
Topic: Cross-price elasticity between electric cars and fossil fuel vehicles.
Research Question: What is the cross-price elasticity of demand between electric cars and fossil fuel vehicles, and what does it imply for future sales?
Topic: The elasticity of supply in the housing market during economic booms.
Research Question: How does the elasticity of supply in the housing market respond to economic booms?
Macroeconomics Topics and Research Questions
But then we step back and look at the big picture with Macroeconomics. Here we’re talking about the economy’s heartbeat—those business cycles that keep us on our toes, wondering if we’re heading for a boom or bracing for a bust.
Governments step in with their fiscal policies, wielding taxes and spending like surgeons trying to fix the economy without making it bleed out.
And let’s not forget the central banks, playing with interest rates and money supply like some high-stakes game of poker.
Topic: The impact of economic cycles on unemployment rates in industrial sectors.
Research Question: How do different phases of economic cycles affect unemployment rates in the manufacturing sector?
Topic: The correlation between economic growth and income inequality.
Research Question: Is there a significant correlation between economic growth and the level of income inequality in developed countries?
Topic: The role of technological innovation in driving economic cycles.
Research Question: To what extent does technological innovation influence the length and magnitude of economic cycles?
Topic: The effectiveness of fiscal stimulus in recession recovery.
Research Question: How effective are fiscal stimulus packages in accelerating recovery from recessions?
Topic: The impact of taxation on small businesses and economic growth.
Research Question: What is the impact of changes in small business taxation on economic growth?
Topic: Government spending priorities and their impact on long-term economic growth.
Research Question: How do government spending priorities influence long-term economic growth?
Topic: The effects of interest rate changes on consumer spending.
Research Question: How do changes in the central bank’s interest rate affect consumer spending patterns?
Topic: The relationship between money supply growth and inflation.
Research Question: What is the relationship between the growth of money supply and the rate of inflation in emerging economies?
Topic: Central bank policies and their impact on currency exchange rates.
Research Question: How do central bank policies in developed countries affect their currency exchange rates?
Each of these topics and research questions can be tailored to fit the specific requirements of an IB Economics Extended Essay , including the availability of data, the scope of the research, and the word count limitations.
It’s important to conduct preliminary research to ensure that there is enough material to support the investigation.
Next stop, International Economics. This is where countries shake hands or sometimes wrestle over trade policies.
International Economics Topics and Research Questions
Tariffs, trade agreements, and who gets the better deal—it’s like a global marketplace where everyone’s trying to haggle their way to prosperity.
Exchange rates bounce around like ping pong balls, and the balance of payments tells us who’s spending too much on their credit card and who’s got money in the bank.
Topic: The impact of trade tariffs on the domestic automobile industry.
Research Question: How have recent changes in trade tariffs affected the competitiveness of the domestic automobile industry?
Topic: The effectiveness of free trade agreements in promoting economic growth.
Research Question: What has been the impact of free trade agreements on the economic growth of member countries?
Topic: The role of trade policies in protecting local agriculture.
Research Question: How do trade policies affect the sustainability and profitability of local agricultural sectors?
Topic: The effects of exchange rate fluctuations on the tourism industry.
Research Question: How do exchange rate fluctuations impact the number of international tourists and tourism revenue?
Topic: Currency wars and their impact on global trade.
Research Question: What are the consequences of competitive devaluations, often referred to as ‘currency wars’, on global trade dynamics?
Topic: The relationship between commodity prices and currency strength in exporting countries.
Research Question: How do fluctuations in commodity prices affect the exchange rate of commodity-exporting countries?
Balance of Payments
Topic: The impact of remittances on the balance of payments in developing countries.
Research Question: What role do remittances play in the balance of payments of developing countries?
Topic: Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and its effect on the current account balance.
Research Question: How does FDI influence the current account balance of emerging economies?
Topic: The effects of tourism on the balance of payments in small island economies.
Research Question: What is the significance of tourism revenue in the balance of payments of small island economies?
Then we get into the meaty issues with Development Economics.
Development Economics Topics and Research Questions
It’s all about asking, “Are we getting better?” We measure development with things like GDP and the Human Development Index, but they don’t always tell the full story.
We’re also tackling the tough stuff like poverty, inequality, and whether we can keep growing without trashing the planet. It’s about making sure progress today doesn’t rob tomorrow.
Measures of Development
Topic: The correlation between GDP growth and improvements in Human Development Index (HDI) scores.
Research Question: Does GDP growth have a significant correlation with improvements in HDI scores?
Topic: The effectiveness of Gross National Happiness (GNH) as an alternative development measure.
Research Question: How does GNH compare to GDP as a measure of development, and what are its implications for policy-making?
Topic: The impact of technological advancement on economic development indicators.
Research Question: What is the impact of rapid technological advancement on traditional economic development indicators?
Poverty and Inequality
Topic: The effectiveness of microfinance in reducing poverty in rural areas.
Research Question: To what extent has microfinance contributed to poverty reduction in rural communities?
Topic: Income inequality and educational outcomes in urban environments.
Research Question: How does income inequality within urban areas affect educational outcomes?
Topic: The role of gender inequality in economic development.
Research Question: What is the impact of gender inequality on economic development in developing countries?
Topic: The economic impacts of transitioning to sustainable energy sources.
Research Question: What are the short-term and long-term economic impacts of transitioning to sustainable energy?
Topic: The role of sustainable agriculture in promoting food security.
Research Question: How does sustainable agriculture contribute to food security and economic development?
Topic: The cost-benefit analysis of environmental conservation measures.
Research Question: What are the economic benefits and costs associated with environmental conservation measures?
Behavioral Economics Topics and Research Questions
Now, let’s talk about what makes people tick with Behavioral Economics. This is where we realize that humans aren’t always the rational robots some theories make us out to be.
We’ve got our quirks—bounded rationality, heuristics, and sometimes we follow the herd off a cliff in a market bubble. It’s fascinating because it’s about the psychology behind the economics.
Topic: The influence of social media on consumer purchasing decisions.
Research Question: To what extent does social media influence consumer behavior in the fashion industry?
Topic: The impact of brand loyalty on price elasticity.
Research Question: How does brand loyalty affect the price elasticity of demand for consumer electronics?
Topic: Behavioral factors influencing impulsive buying behavior.
Research Question: What behavioral factors are most significant in influencing impulsive buying behavior in online retail?
Topic: The effectiveness of nudges in promoting healthy eating habits.
Research Question: How effective are nudging strategies in changing consumer eating habits in school cafeterias?
Topic: The role of default choices in retirement savings plans.
Research Question: What is the impact of default options on the participation rates in employer-sponsored retirement savings plans?
Topic: The use of framing effects in environmental policy compliance.
Research Question: How do framing effects influence compliance with environmental policies among households?
Topic: The impact of investor sentiment on stock market bubbles.
Research Question: To what extent does investor sentiment contribute to the formation and bursting of stock market bubbles?
Topic: Herd behavior and its influence on cryptocurrency markets.
Research Question: How does herd behavior manifest in the trading patterns of cryptocurrency markets?
Topic: The role of overconfidence in financial market trading.
Research Question: What is the role of overconfidence bias in the decision-making processes of individual investors in financial markets?
Each of these topics and research questions should be carefully considered and refined to ensure that they are feasible for an extended essay , with a clear focus and available data for analysis.
Labor Economics Topics and Research Questions
Shifting gears to Labor Economics, we’re in the world of work. Wages aren’t just about money; they’re about bargaining power, fairness, and sometimes just sticking to the minimum.
The labor market’s a tough crowd, with unemployment and the quest for the right job in the right place.
And human capital reminds us that it’s not just about filling positions but nurturing talent through education and training.
Topic: The impact of minimum wage increases on small business employment levels.
Research Question: What is the effect of minimum wage increases on employment levels in the small business sector?
Topic: Wage bargaining and gender pay disparity in the technology sector.
Research Question: How does wage bargaining contribute to the gender pay gap in the technology industry?
Topic: The influence of trade unions on wage determination in the automotive industry.
Research Question: What role do trade unions play in shaping wage determination in the automotive industry?
Topic: The effects of automation on unemployment rates in manufacturing.
Research Question: How has the increase in automation impacted unemployment rates in the manufacturing sector?
Topic: Labor market flexibility and its impact on economic resilience during recessions.
Research Question: How does labor market flexibility affect a country’s economic resilience to recessions?
Topic: The role of labor mobility in regional economic development.
Research Question: What is the impact of labor mobility on economic development in economically depressed regions?
Topic: The return on investment in higher education for various fields of study.
Research Question: What is the comparative return on investment in higher education across different fields of study?
Topic: The impact of vocational training programs on employability in the service sector.
Research Question: How do vocational training programs affect employability and income levels in the service sector?
Topic: The correlation between educational attainment and labor productivity.
Research Question: How does the level of educational attainment correlate with labor productivity in the tech industry?
Breathing in some fresh air, we move to Environmental Economics.
Environmental Economics Topics and Research Questions
Here’s where we figure out how to play nice with nature. Managing resources, setting up environmental policies like carbon taxes, and doing the math to see if the benefits of saving a forest are worth the cost.
It’s economics going green.
Topic: The economic viability of renewable energy sources in rural communities.
Research Question: What are the economic challenges and benefits of adopting renewable energy sources in rural communities?
Topic: The impact of water resource management on agricultural productivity.
Research Question: How does effective water resource management influence agricultural productivity and economic sustainability?
Topic: The effects of conservation policies on the forestry industry.
Research Question: What economic impact do conservation policies have on the forestry industry?
Topic: The effectiveness of carbon taxes in reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Research Question: How effective have carbon taxes been in achieving their intended reductions in greenhouse gas emissions?
Topic: The economic impacts of emissions trading schemes on heavy industries.
Research Question: What are the economic consequences of emissions trading schemes for heavy industries?
Topic: The role of environmental regulations in shaping the automotive industry.
Research Question: How have environmental regulations influenced innovation and economic outcomes in the automotive industry?
Topic: The cost-benefit analysis of urban green space preservation.
Research Question: What are the economic costs and benefits of preserving urban green spaces?
Topic: The economic evaluation of flood defense systems in coastal cities.
Research Question: From an economic perspective, how do the costs and benefits of flood defense systems in coastal cities compare?
Topic: The financial implications of biodiversity conservation programs.
Research Question: What are the economic trade-offs associated with biodiversity conservation programs?
Health Economics Topics and Research Questions
Health Economics brings us to the crossroads of wealth and well-being. Healthcare systems are complex beasts, and we’re trying to tame them so that they can heal without causing financial heartache.
We’re measuring health outcomes and life quality, all while navigating through the maze of health policies.
Topic: The economic effects of public versus private healthcare provision on quality of care.
Research Question: How does the mode of healthcare provision (public vs. private) affect the quality of care and economic efficiency?
Topic: The impact of insurance coverage on healthcare utilization rates.
Research Question: How does the level of insurance coverage influence healthcare utilization rates among different socioeconomic groups?
Topic: The cost-effectiveness of universal healthcare systems.
Research Question: From a cost-effectiveness standpoint, how do universal healthcare systems compare to multi-payer systems?
Topic: The economic burden of chronic diseases on healthcare systems.
Research Question: What is the economic impact of the rising prevalence of chronic diseases on healthcare systems?
Topic: The relationship between socioeconomic status and health outcomes.
Research Question: How does socioeconomic status affect health outcomes across different regions?
Topic: The impact of mental health services on workplace productivity.
Research Question: What is the economic impact of providing mental health services on workplace productivity?
Topic: The economic implications of pharmaceutical regulation on drug prices.
Research Question: How do pharmaceutical regulations affect drug prices and the availability of new medications?
Topic: The cost-benefit analysis of preventive healthcare measures.
Research Question: What are the long-term economic benefits of investing in preventive healthcare measures?
Topic: The effects of subsidies on the consumption of health-related goods.
Research Question: How do subsidies for health-related goods (e.g., gym memberships, healthy foods) affect consumption patterns and health outcomes?
Public Sector Economics Topics and Research Questions
Public Sector Economics is where we see how the government tries to steer the ship. They’re spending on public goods and welfare, trying to keep the economy afloat without springing too many leaks.
Taxation is a hot topic—progressive, regressive, who’s paying their way, and who’s getting a free ride? And with fiscal federalism, it’s a tug-of-war between local needs and central control.
Topic: The impact of government spending on public goods on economic growth.
Research Question: How does government expenditure on public goods such as infrastructure contribute to economic growth?
Topic: The effectiveness of welfare programs in reducing poverty.
Research Question: What has been the impact of welfare programs on poverty levels in developed countries?
Topic: The economic consequences of military spending.
Research Question: How does military expenditure affect the allocation of government resources and economic growth?
Topic: The economic effects of progressive taxation on income distribution.
Research Question: Does progressive taxation lead to a more equitable distribution of income?
Topic: The impact of value-added tax (VAT) on consumer spending.
Research Question: How does the implementation of VAT affect consumer spending patterns?
Topic: The role of tax incentives in promoting renewable energy investments.
Research Question: How effective are tax incentives in encouraging investment in renewable energy projects?
Topic: The challenges of fiscal coordination between central and local governments.
Research Question: What are the main challenges in achieving fiscal coordination between different levels of government?
Topic: The impact of fiscal decentralization on local economic development.
Research Question: How does fiscal decentralization affect economic development at the local level?
Topic: The role of intergovernmental transfers in balancing regional disparities.
Research Question: How do intergovernmental transfers help to address regional economic disparities?
Industrial Organization Topics and Research Questions
We’re watching firms and their power moves—mergers, acquisitions, and the regulatory hoops they have to jump through.
It’s about keeping the market fair and innovative, making sure the big fish don’t eat all the little ones and that new ideas get a chance to grow.
Topic: The economic rationale behind mergers and acquisitions in the tech industry.
Research Question: What economic factors drive mergers and acquisitions in the technology sector?
Topic: The impact of corporate governance on firm performance.
Research Question: How does the quality of corporate governance affect firm performance and economic outcomes?
Topic: The effects of vertical integration on market competition.
Research Question: Does vertical integration by large firms lead to less competition in the market?
Topic: The effectiveness of antitrust laws in promoting fair competition.
Research Question: How effective are antitrust laws in maintaining competitive markets?
Topic: The economic impacts of deregulation in the airline industry.
Research Question: What have been the economic outcomes of deregulation in the airline industry?
Topic: The role of competition policy in fostering innovation.
Research Question: How does competition policy influence the rate and direction of innovation in high-tech industries?
Innovation and Technology
Topic: The relationship between R&D investment and economic performance in pharmaceuticals.
Research Question: How does R&D investment correlate with economic performance in the pharmaceutical industry?
Topic: The economic implications of patent laws on innovation.
Research Question: What is the impact of patent laws on the rate of innovation in renewable energy technologies?
Topic: The role of government subsidies in technological advancement.
Research Question: How do government subsidies affect technological advancement in emerging industries?
Financial Economics Topics and Research Questions
Financial Economics is where the money’s at—literally. Stock markets, bond markets, the exotic world of derivatives—it’s all about the flow of money.
And with financial regulation, we’re trying to keep the party responsible so that the financial hangover doesn’t hit too hard.
Topic: The impact of stock market volatility on economic decision-making.
Research Question: How does stock market volatility influence corporate investment decisions?
Topic: The role of bond markets in public debt management.
Research Question: What role do bond markets play in the management of public debt?
Topic: The effects of quantitative easing on financial markets.
Research Question: How has quantitative easing affected financial markets post-2008 financial crisis?
Topic: The use of derivatives in risk management by corporations.
Research Question: How do corporations use derivatives to manage financial risk?
Topic: The impact of futures trading on commodity price stability.
Research Question: Does futures trading contribute to the stability of commodity prices?
Topic: The role of cryptocurrency in the financial portfolio diversification.
Research Question: How do cryptocurrencies affect the diversification of financial portfolios?
Topic: The effectiveness of banking regulation in preventing financial crises.
Research Question: How effective have banking regulations been in preventing another financial crisis?
Topic: The economic effects of capital adequacy requirements on banks.
Research Question: What are the economic effects of increased capital adequacy requirements for banks?
Topic: The impact of international financial reporting standards on market transparency.
Research Question: How do international financial reporting standards improve market transparency and economic outcomes?
Economic Methodology and History Topics and Research Questions
Lastly, we’ve got Economic Methodology and History. It’s a bit like time travel, seeing how past thinkers shape our current policies and how historical events steer us towards new economic shores.
And methodology? It’s the toolbox that helps us figure out if what we’re doing actually makes sense, with all the number crunching and case studies that help us understand the why behind the what.
Topic: The influence of Keynesian economic policies on modern fiscal strategies.
Research Question: How have Keynesian economic principles shaped contemporary fiscal policy-making?
Topic: The relevance of classical economics in today’s market economy.
Research Question: To what extent are the principles of classical economics applicable in the current market economy?
Topic: The impact of behavioral economics on traditional economic models.
Research Question: How has behavioral economics challenged the assumptions of traditional economic models?
Topic: The economic consequences of the 1970s oil shocks.
Research Question: What were the long-term economic consequences of the oil shocks of the 1970s?
Topic: The role of economic policies in the Great Depression.
Research Question: How did economic policies contribute to the onset and duration of the Great Depression?
Topic: The economic impacts of the dissolution of the Soviet Union.
Research Question: What were the economic impacts of the dissolution of the Soviet Union on Eastern European countries?
Topic: The application of econometrics in evaluating fiscal policy.
Research Question: How can econometric models be used to evaluate the effectiveness of fiscal policy?
Topic: The challenges of qualitative analysis in economic research.
Research Question: What are the main challenges associated with using qualitative analysis in economic research?
Topic: The comparison of case study and statistical methods in economic analysis.
Research Question: How do case study methods compare to statistical methods in the analysis of economic phenomena?
So, there you have it—a whirlwind tour through the interconnected world of economics extended essay topics.
Each piece of the cake tells part of the story, and it’s only when you put them all together that you see the full tasty picture. What’s your take on all this?
If you need some other IB EE topic options, we also have many other articles with various extended essay topic ideas . Do not miss a chance to check some that may interest you.
I would have continued with other options, but I believe this list of Economics extended essay topic ideas are quite enough for today. Good luck with your RQ selection, research and writing .
If you find a better article that provides more comprehensive and detailed suggestions for Economics extended essay topic ideas, share it with me 😉
If you need topic suggestions with outlines or assistance with writing a custom IB Economics EE, our IB experts at Writing Metier are always ready to assist you.
Simply contact us using our contact form or fill out the order form with details to your economics extended essay and our IB experts will land you a hand.
Vasyl Kafidoff is a co-founder and CEO at WritingMetier. He is interested in education and how modern technology makes it more accessible. He wants to bring awareness about new learning possibilities as an educational specialist. When Vasy is not working, he’s found behind a drum kit.
100+ ib extended essay topic ideas for your ease.
One of the very important requirements of an IB diploma is the extended essay. This really helps bring up the total score. And one problem students face here is gathering ideas for their IB extended essay. Here is some guiding information that can help with extended essay topics.
Mathematics Extended Essay Topics for IB
Explore a meticulously curated selection of IB Math Extended Essay topics, each crafted to cater to various levels of expertise. Whether you're seeking a straightforward challenge or a deep mathematical conundrum, this guide is designed to ignite your curiosity, showcase your skills, and help you stand out in the world of IB mathematics. Dive into this realm with enthusiasm and precision
What is IB Extended Essay RPPF?
The IB program mandates that students complete an extended essay, along with a form called the RPPF or reflections on planning and progress form. Some students have difficulty understanding the concept of reflecting on their work and may feel overwhelmed by the task.
May 2024 TOK Essay Prompts | IB Experts Guide + Examples
Discover the comprehensive breakdown of the May 2024 TOK essay prompts. Our expert analyses and tailored approaches for each title ensure you're well-prepared to tackle the IB criteria with confidence and clarity.
Extended Essay Grading in the IB Program
Check the latest nuances of the IB Extended Essay with Writing Metier. From grading insights to firsthand experiences, we've got your EE queries covered. Let our seasoned team guide you to unlock success in your Extended Essay.
IB Physics Extended Essay Topics for IB
Struggling to find the right topic for your IB Physics Extended Essay? Our comprehensive list of over 100 ideas is here to inspire your scientific exploration. Discover a range of topics from quantum physics to astrophysics, tailored to ignite your curiosity and academic ambition.
We rely on cookies to give you the best experince on our website. By browsing, you agree to it. Read more
100 IB Extended Essay Topic Ideas!
One of the biggest keys to the Extended Essay is choosing which subject you want to write your work in and developing that crucial research question. Read on to find inspiration for topics across a wide range of subjects.
Extended Essay: The Love/Hate aspect of the IB
One of the biggest keys to the Extended Essay is choosing which subject you want to write your work in and developing that crucial research question. Annoyingly, coming up with that idea and research question can be the toughest part of the entire process. Writing 4,000 words about something you are interested in is a big ask and it often feels impossible to narrow down your thoughts. To make everything super clear, here are 100 Extended Essay Topics for you to draw inspiration from! Use these as a springboard to create your own research question !
Get Support from A Top Tutor Today
At Lanterna we have over 300 tutors who smashed their Extended Essay. They know exactly how to get an A in your EE and can give you tips and tricks on how you can do the same. What are you waiting for? Get your own tutor today !
How to Begin Your IB Extended Essay
To make everything super clear, here are 100 Extended Essay Topics for you to draw inspiration from! Use these as a springboard to create your own research question !
Get Support from a Top Tutor Today
At Lanterna, we have over 300 tutors who smashed their Extended Essay. They know exactly how to get an A in your EE and can give you tips and tricks on how you can do the same. What are you waiting for? Get your own tutor today!
10 Steps to Writing an Extended Essay
Before we look at specific topics for your essay, let’s recap the 10-steps you’ll need to follow to complete your extended essay.
1. Define the Topic and Draft the Research Question
2. Create a Timeline
3. Identify and gather Sources
4. Set Deadlines
5. Plan the structure according to the total word count
7. independent Research
8. Write the extended essay draft
By following the steps above, you should be able to produce a logical and coherent rationale to follow when writing the extended essay for your IB diploma programme.
By starting with a solid research question, you’ll be able to put an extended essay of global significance together, from the research and writing process all the way through to your final submission with a favourable extended essay grade.
Below, we’re sharing 10 topics across 10 subjects to inspire your next IB extended essay.
1. How the change of habitat affects an X organism?
2. How does climate affect the growth of X plant?
3. Can photosynthesis take place without sunlight?
4. What is the effect of age and gender on the photoreceptor cells in the human retina?
5. How is climate change impacting the appearance of coral reefs?
6. An evaluation of how antioxidants work in our bodies?
7. Does hand sanitizer, hand soap or antibacterial wipes have the greatest ability to inhibit the growth of E. Coli?
8. To what extent do live cultures in yogurts/milk/other dairy products reduce the concentration of lactose present over the course of a 2 hour incubation period at x°C?
9. What is the relationship between population density between X and population size of X?
10. What is the relationship between indoleacetic acid, a growth hormone, and the growth of X (a crop)?
11. How does human influence impact an aquatic ecosystem?
12. How can one organize a pollution check along a X canal in X?
13. What is the effect of the increased ecological footprint in the Amazon ?
14. What are the forest and woodland restoration in Siberia, Russia and which one is most effective?
15. How does human interference cause ecological imbalances in an X city/country/continent?
16. What is the impact of urban development on the bee population in X city?
17. What are the differences in the conversation efforts in Yosemite National Park (California, USA) and the Lake District National Park (UK)?
18. To what extent have healthcare policies in X country influenced their human population curve?
19. How have changes in environmental systems influenced the value system of X country?
20. How has X landfill site affected the surrounding terrestrial ecosystem?
21. What is the profitability of airline companies ?
22. How does unemployment affect the market?
23. Why did X recession occur?
24. How did the financial Policy affect the economy in X?
25. How effective are government policies in reducing overconsumption of alcohol (specifically hard liquor)?
26. To what extent are public buses and subways substitute goods in a country?
27. How did the tax reform in country x affect its growth and development? (many countries to choose from)
28. To what extent was weak government policy responsible for the Latin American financial crisis of 1997?
29. How effective is the Big Mac Index in measuring purchasing power parity?
30. To what extent would the UK suffer from leaving the European Customs Union if Brexit happens?
31. Is there an association between viewing violence on television and the display of violent acts?
32. What motivational climate should a coach employ in order to achieve optimal performance in athletes?
33. How does X hormone affect human behavior ?
34. Compare theories explaining altruism in human behaviour
35. Discuss short-term and long-term consequences of exposure to violence
36. Why do relationships change or end?
37. Discuss how social variables (poverty, parenting, educational environment) may the affect cognitive environment.
38. To what extent do mirror neurons play a role in empathy? (2014)
39. To what extent does Mindfulness help people cope with General Anxiety Disorder (GAD)?
40. To what extent is drug therapy effective in the treatment of bipolar disorder?
41. Does the British Parliamentary reforms act of 1832 deserve its title as the great reform act?
42. To what extent are there similarities in Hitler and Mussolini’s Rise to Power?
43. To what extent did Mao’s tackle the problems which he faced?
44. Was Tsar Alexander II of Russia reforms a success or failure?
45. To what extent was the bombing of Dresden in 1945 justifiable?
46. To what extent can Sweden be considered neutral during WWII ?
47. The impact of structural economic weakness on the collapse of the Soviet Union.
48. How were women treated differently in 1920s and 1950s Great Britain?
49. Why did Israel win the Six Day War of 1967?
50. What role did economics play in the unification of Germany from 1834 to 1871?
51. What are the Compare and Contrast Jane Austen Books?
52. How does Joseph Conrad’s portray Racism in A Heart of Darkness?
53. How does Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman critique today’s capitalist society? The American Dream?
54. To what extent does Chris McCandless in Jon Krakauer’s Into the Wild escape familial influence?
55. What are the similarities and differences between J.K. Rowling’s characterization of Severus Snape in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?
56. How does Yaa Gyasi use structure in her novel Homegoing to portray the evolution of time?
57. What is the impact of the social context on Holden Caufield and Huckleberry Finn?
58. How does Sylvia Path’s use of Inanimate objects in Bell Jar?
59. How is the empowerment of Feminine portrayed in the Lord of the Rings?
60. Compare the political rhetoric as used in the inaugural addresses of George W. Bush, Barack Obama, and Donald Trump.
61. The design, construction and calibration of an apparatus for measuring lipid concentration in milk.
62. What is the effect of a change in the optimal lift on the horizontal gliding distance of an aircraft?
63. How does the sugar concentration affect the refractive index of water?
64. How does temperature affect the viscosity of X juice/soda?
65. Is the relationship between temperature and conductivity and insulators and conductors?
66. What is the Oberth Effect?
67. What is the temperature dependence of work performed on an AA battery?
68. How can the rotational frequency of a fan driven by a flame measure distance?
69. Do wine bottles of different shapes behave as Helmholtz resonators?
70. How does the diameter of a wheel affect stability in different weather conditions?
71. What factors influence the location of industries in country/city X?
72. An investigation into the significance of preserving the quality of water in a continent/country/city?
73. An investigation into the degree to which City X can be considered a Sustainable City/Community.
74. To what extent is Biodiversity being managed successfully in city X?
75. To what extent does the education and employment of women affect Country x’s fertility rate?
76. To what extent do gender, educational attainment, and working parameters influence obesity risk?
77. To what extent has urban development affected human thermal comfort levels in Country/city x (a country/city that has developed in a rapid rate over the past decades)?
78. To what extent is the Company x corporate waste management program effective, demonstrating environmental sustainability?
79. To what extent is biodiversity being managed successfully at National Park X?
80. What types of urban design encourage high rates of vandalism in X neighbourhoods?
81. The kinetics of Enzymatic Reactions.
82. How do Iron Intake Diets differ in X country?
83. What are the different factors that affect the iodine values in cooking oils?
84. What is the effect of standing time and temperate on the acid content in X juice or soda?
85. Can caffeine in tea or coffee be reduced?
86. What is the effect of temperature on the souring of milk?
87. What are the sources of error in calorimetry?
88. Does brushing your teeth affect the pH in your mouth after eating?
89. How does changing the concentration of the reagents affect the formation and spacing between Liesehang rings in the reaction between X chloride and X when conducted in a test tube?
90. What effect does the coating of aspirin tablets have on the hydrolysis of aspirin?
Social and Cultural Anthropology
91. How clothing relates to the cultural anthropology of X culture.
92. The extent to which social media networks affect different societies.
93. The relationship between ritual, myths and faith in an X society.
94. The history of rituals in X culture.
95. How different marriage rituals inform the cultural anthropology of X culture.
96. Climate change and its impact on the evolution of different creatures on the planet.
97. Understanding the social and cultural anthropology of the supernatural in X culture.
98. An analysis of body modification in relation to social and cultural anthropology.
100. Chaste systems and social ranks in societies.
There are so many class subjects that can form the basis of your extended essay, including these popular six subjects:
– Information technology
– Computer science
– Health science
– World studies
– Visual arts
– Business management
Extended essays are a great way to improve your writing skills in academic writing. Essays of a high standard that demonstrate critical thinking and in depth analysis can be submitted to academic journals. These have the potential to reach the global society.
Start Writing Your Extended Essay Topic
We hope this gave you some great inspiration for the variation of topics available for your Extended Essay . The research question you select is what will carry you through the entire process, so be sure to choose wisely!
Remember, if you are looking for more help with your Extended Essay, make sure to check out our guide which will tell you exactly how to plan, structure, research and write your Extended Essay!
Grab Free Extended Essay Resources!
No matter the subject groups in your diploma program, we’re here to help all of our IB students. Whether you’re writing about social and cultural anthropology, business management, design technology, or scientific methods for your IB diploma, Lanterna has you covered.
Share article links
- Most Popular
25 History IA Topic Ideas!
Are you about to start your History internal assessment? We know the struggle. One of the most difficult parts about the task is finding a good History IA topic because it feels like you can just write about anything. The IB breaks it down into 7 main different types of topics that you can choose, […]
- IB Extended Essay
How to Finish Your Extended Essay Over Summer!
Completing their extended essay before they begin DP2 is the dream of most IB students. In reality, however, few achieve it. In this blog, we’ll explore how to finish your extended essay over summer without feeling overwhelmed! Part 1: Get Some Rest! Don’t forget that the reason you have a summer break is to take […]
Top 5 Essentials for Studying Physics
As the school year just started and some people are stressed about their upcoming journey in the IB Diploma Programme, we wanted to take the time to discuss perhaps one of the most infamous subjects for its difficulty … physics. It gets some bad rep and many people think that they’re just not “meant” for […]
Economics Essay Topics: 162 Practical Ideas & Useful Tips
Essay writing is an inherent part of the economics studying process. Nevertheless, it is quite a challenging task. Are you a high school or college student who is struggling with an economic essay topic choice? Or maybe you are unsure about your writing skills?
We know how to help you .
The following article will guide you in choosing the best topic for your essay on economics. Here, you can find a variety of ideas for high school or college. The economic essay topics are divided into several categories that will help you with your research. And a pleasant bonus from our team! We have created a great guide on how to write an economics essay.
So, don’t miss your chance to write an outstanding economic paper! Check out our essay ideas, read our tips carefully, and be ready to receive your grade A!
- ⭐ Best Economic Topics
- 🤝 Socio-Economic
- 🗺️ International Economics
- 🛠️ Labor Economics
- 🌆 Urban Economics
- ⚽ Sports Economics
- 💉 Health Economics
- 💼 Business Economics
- 🏤 Globalization
- 🧮 Economic History
- 💫 How to Write?
⭐ 15 Best Economic Essay Topics
- 2008 Economic Crisis.
- Socio-economic policy.
- Economic systems – Singapore.
- Racial pay gap.
- Economic globalization.
- History of online trading.
- Child labor policies.
- The Economic Naturalist.
- Foundations of economic theory.
- Impact of unemployment.
- Universal Basic Income.
- The role of consumerism.
- Healthcare economics – Canada’s Medicare.
- Reasons for recession.
- Cryptocurrency & environmental issues.
✨ Excellent Economic Essay Topics
Has economics always been a subject of meticulous research? The question is quite controversial, right? There is no specific time when economics started its rapid progress. Generally, economics remains the topic of interest since the establishment of capitalism in the Western world.
Nowadays, the economy is the main engine that moves our world forward. The way we do business determines the geopolitical situation in the world. Moreover, it influences many other parts of our lives.
Economics studying is of utmost importance nowadays. It helps to gain a better understanding of processes that put everything in motion.
Economics is quite broad, so it has a great variety of subfields. And this is a fantastic opportunity for us to generate as many essay ideas as possible. Here, you will find great economic topics for your paper. As mentioned before, we have divided them into several sections to ease your selection process. There’s a wide selection of free college essays samples on economics in our database, too. So be sure to check that out.
🤝 Socio-Economic Essay Topics
- The economic impact of racial segregation in America in the 1950s.
- Designing a just socio-economic system.
- Socio-economic status of Hong Kong in modern-day China. Explain how the city of Hong Kong gained a special status in China. Why did it emerge as one of the most important cities in its economy? Comment on the significance of Hong Kong in the international economic arena.
- Economic growth in the United States in the post-World War 2 period.
- Mobile banking in Saudi Arabia: towards understanding the factors that affect the sector.
- The importance of Dior’s bar suit to the women’s fashion industry.
- Economic problems in the 1980’s Soviet Union. Talk about the significant problems with the economy the USSR had in the 1980s. What role did they play in its collapse?
- What socio-economic problems did segregation in South Africa cause?
- History of economic development in the UAE. Discuss the economic miracle in the UAE and Dubai. Explain how the government could turn the city of Dubai into one of the most famous tourist destinations. What strategies were applied?
- Gender inequality and socio-economic development .
- The problem of poverty in Venezuela.
- How the socio-economic and political position of women changed between 1880 and 1940.
- The economic impact of COVID-19 on global trade.
- How do the three main economic groups interact with each other? There are three critical economic groups: – Consumers – Producers – Government Analyze the interaction of these groups with each other.
- Extended essay: how the study of economic data helped our society to advance?
- Western industrialization socio-economic impacts.
- Inequality at the top: not all billionaires have the same powers. Analyze billionaires’ net worth, liquidity, political power, and wealth security. Explain why they have unequal social status. What factors determine the influence of billionaires?
- An analysis of systems that help us measure agricultural development in a country.
- Is social media a useful tool for brand promotion?
- The phenomenon of dualism in economic development.
🗺️ International Economics Essay Topics
- Globalization and its impact on international economic relations. Define the term globalization. What role does globalization play in international economic relations? Provide specific examples of globalization’s impact on the global political economy.
- The lack of justice for the cheap international labor market. Discuss the issue of cheap labor in various countries. Why do some workers often lack fundamental human rights while others abuse moral norms? Analyze the causes and effects of inequality in the workplace.
- Japan macroeconomics: problems and possible solutions.
- The issue of mercantilism in the history of Great Britain. Analyze the rise and development of mercantilism in the history of Great Britain. To solidify your ideas, provide persuasive arguments, and appropriate examples of mercantilism.
- Why does the problem of environmental protection remain unresolved among global economies?
- Nissan Motor company’s international business.
- International environmental concerns in economics: the case of China .
- The issue of international criminal justice in industry. Explain why international businesses often avoid criminal justice after wrongdoings. Select one case of unethical behavior of a company’s CEO or regular employee. Briefly introduce the problem. What were the causes and effects? How was the issue resolved? Express your own opinion regarding the lack of criminal justice in business.
- The economy of Singapore and its role in international trade.
- International microeconomics trade dispute case study: US-China dispute on the exportation of raw materials.
- The phenomenon of the “gig economy” and its impact on the global economy.
- The effect of population growth in the international economy.
- International economics in the context of globalization.
- How does Brexit affect the economy of the European Union? Analyze the immediate impact of Brexit on the EU’s economy. Predict future advantages and disadvantages of Brexit for both: Great Britain and the EU.
- South Africa: international agribusiness, trade, and financing.
- Historical essay: the economy of the Dutch East India company.
- The issue of Mozambique’s economy and possible solutions. Investigate the issue of extreme poverty in Mozambique. What are some possible solutions to the problem of poverty? Base your suggestions on the country’s cultural, historical, and geographical aspects.
- Imbalances in the global economy. Discuss the imbalances between trading countries on the scale of the global economy. What solutions would you suggest to deal with this issue?
- How will global economies adapt to China’s growing power?
- Etihad Airways company managerial economics.
🛠️ Labor Economics Essay Topics
- Ford Motor company’s labor economics.
- Labor economics: child labor.
- The UPS firm perspective: the labor market.
- Gender inequality of wage rate in modern business. Research how and why gender inequality is still an issue in the modern world of economics. What are some ways to deal with the problem? Present your ideas accurately and effectively. Provide solid arguments and appropriate examples to prove your position.
- What are the best ways to increase labor productivity in business?
- Labor unions adverse effects on economics.
- The decrease of the labor force in modern industries. Talk about the rising rates of robotization in the majority of industries. How will it affect the traditional labor force? Comment on the problem of unemployment caused by labor automatization.
- Violations of labor rights of workers.
- Modern labor essay: how can an entrepreneur guarantee the minimum wage to their workers?
- How can labor geography help develop a special economic zone? Talk about labor geography and its effects on developing an exclusive economic zone. How does the geopolitical location of a particular country influence its level of economic development?
- Entrepreneurship in the organic cosmetics sphere.
- Gender-oriented labor trade unions. A case study. Discuss the gender-oriented trade unions and analyze their impact on our society.
- Child labor in the Turkish cotton industry.
- The connection between economic growth and demography. Analyze the connection between economic growth and its demographic context. Investigate both sides: – The issue of overpopulation – The problem of low birth rate. From an economic perspective, what problem is more dangerous?
- The issue of sex discrimination in the workplace.
- The effects of Landrum-Griffin Labor Act. Explore the labor Act of Landrum-Griffin that was passed in the US Congress in 1959. Discuss its implications and consequences. Discuss its implications and consequences.
🌆 Urban Economics Essay Topics
- Cities and their role in aggregate economics.
- Urbanization in Hong Kong and its effects on citizens.
- The urban planning of the city of New York: a critical analysis. Analyze the urban history of NY. How has the city been developing? Discuss revolutionary solutions to the past and problems of modern times.
- The impact of a city’s design on the local traffic.
- Dubai’s spatial planning: creative solutions for building a city in the desert.
- Globalization, urban political economy, and economic restructuring.
- How do urban areas affect local wildlife? Comment on how modern production technologies in urban areas impact the natural diversity of wildlife. What impact does the rapid economic progress have on the environment? Suggest possible solutions.
- Urban sociology: does the city make us better people?
- Why should people be more careful about investing in real estate? Discuss the issues of overinvestment into real estate. Consider the economic crisis of 2008 as an example.
- How can regional authorities help improve a city?
- Urban life and its effects on education.
- The economic development of a city’s metropolitan area: challenges and solutions.
- Main factors for the emergence of cities in the Middle Ages.
- The ethics of relocation: is it justified? Talk about the case of relocating locals when building projects of great magnitude. To what extent can it be justified? Mention its economic and ethical side.
- The difficulties behind the construction of “green” buildings. Discuss the relatively new phenomenon of environmentally friendly buildings. Analyze both sides: the pros and cons. What obstacles lie behind the “green” building? What opportunities do the “green” buildings offer? Elaborate on your ideas by providing clear arguments or counterarguments.
- What factors play a critical role in the success of retail productivity in cities?
⚽ Sports Economics Essay Topics
- Do teams with higher budgets perform better on the field?
- Corruption in European football leagues: a critical analysis. Investigate the corruption issue in the European football leagues. State reasons and solutions for the problem.
- The managerial catastrophe of Arsenal F.C.
- The NextG sports company’s communication planning.
- Roger D. Blair’s Sports Economics literary review. Write a literary analysis of Sports Economics by Roger D. Blair. Discuss his opinion on the economy of sports. Do you agree or disagree with his position? Provide compelling supportive arguments or strong counterarguments.
- How significant is the impact factor of a local team on a city’s economy?
- Kinsmen Sports Centre: marketing metrics innovation.
- What role does statistical data play in sports? Analyze the part of economic statistical data in different sports organizations. How can statistics help to develop an effective financing plan? Comment on the impact of financing on the performance of a sports club.
- Sports and energy drinks marketing analysis.
- Is there a connection between the lack of money and any contemporary issues in a sports team?
- Performance-enhancing drugs in sports.
- The business of FIFA: a financial analysis. Investigate the finances of FIFA. What economic factors make them so influential in the modern world of football?
- The global sports retail industry.
- The Olympics: logistics and economy. Discuss the logistics behind the Olympics Games event. How the Olympic Games impact the economy of the host country?
💉 Health Economics Essay Topics
- Is bioprinting the new future of medicine? Analyze the new market of organ printing and discuss its challenges. Investigate bioprinting from an economic perspective. Will the outputs cover the inputs? How will bioprinting impact the financial aspect of the health care sector?
- Cost-effectiveness of pharmaceutical products in the United States. Comment on the immense cost-effectiveness of pharmaceuticals. What do you think is the price of pharmaceutical products reasonable? Is it ethical to set extremely high prices on the medicals?
- An economic evaluation of the antibiotics market.
- Health economics-SIC and NAICS.
- The financial side of cancer treatment: is it too expensive? Analyze the market for cancer treatment programs in various countries. Explore its costs and complications. What are some possible ways to reduce the price of cancer treatment and make it more affordable?
- The issue of fast food consumption: a multibillion-dollar market . Fast food has always been one of the notable causes of obesity, diabetes, and other illnesses. Investigate the economic aspect of the issue. Are high profits from fast food production worth peoples’ health conditions?
- History and evolution of healthcare economics.
- The financial management of a hospital: a case study.
- The issue of public healthcare in the USA. Write about the long-standing issue of medical sector operation in the USA. Analyze its history, financial, and social aspects.
- Demand in healthcare economics.
- What are the economic outcomes of a global pandemic? Taking the COVID-19 outbreak as an example, conduct research on the effects of a pandemic on the economy. How does it affect local economies? What impact does the quarantine have on the international economy? Provide appropriate examples to support your ideas.
💼 Business Economics Essay Topics
- When does an advertising campaign become unnecessary?
- Sustainable development of a nation’s economic stability. Discuss how a country can create a sustainable economy. Provide bright examples to solidify your position.
- How can a small business compete with monopolies?
- What are the limitations of the Lewis Model?
- The phenomenon of inflation: inevitable liability or a land of opportunity for our economies? Explore the process of inflation in modern economies. Does it only have adverse effects on the countries’ economies? Are there any advantages of inflation? Analyze it from a positive perspective.
- Economics, business, and sugar in the UK.
- The shadow economy of the finance sector. Dive into the backstage of the finance sector and research various “grey” areas where business can be done.
- Chinese and Japanese business systems comparison.
- Oil demand and its changes in the XXI century: a critical analysis. Analyze the oil sector and write about its fluctuation in the XXI century. How did the changes in oil demand affect the global economy?
- The social and economic impact of mass emigration.
🌠 40 More Good Economic Essay Topics
Scrolled through our ideas, but can’t find a suitable topic for yourself? No worries! We have more issues to share with you.
So, don’t stress out. Take a look at our list of economical essay topics. Here are 40 more ideas focusing on globalization and the history of economics.
🏤 Economic Globalization Essay Topics
- The impact of globalization on the tourist industry in the Caribbean . Analyze both: the positive and negative effects of globalization on the Caribbean. To make your paper well-structured, explore two advantages and two disadvantages. Don’t forget to improve your essay with strong evidence and appropriate examples!
- Toyota Motor Corporation: impacts of globalization.
- What are the effects of globalization on developing countries? To what extent do developing countries profit from globalization? Research the subject by comparing various examples.
- Defining globalization and its effects on current trade.
- Economic growth as a result of globalization: proper financial strategies. How can a country successfully achieve prosperity with globalization? Discuss proper economic strategies.
- The socio-political significance of the IT industry’s globalization.
- Human trafficking in developing nations as a result of globalization.
- Globalization and criminal justice policy.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of globalization?
- Globalization challenges and countermeasures.
- The effect of globalization on worldwide trade and employment rates.
- Economic integration within the European Union: a critical analysis. Talk about the history of economic integration within the EU. What are the negative and positive outcomes of economic integration?
- Globalization and food in Japan.
- Does globalization bring negative effects to cultural heritage and identity?
- The Industrial Revolution as the first step towards globalization. Focus on the Industrial Revolution in Europe. Discuss its precursors and consequences. Why is the revolution considered to be a starting point of globalization? Provide specific examples of globalization processes that occurred in the economic sector after the Industrial revolution.
- Globalization 2.0 an analysis of a book by David Rieff.
- Globalization effects on fundamentalism growth.
- Does direct investment by foreign businesses come with strings attached? Dive into the shady area of globalization and discuss how to direct foreign investment can bring problems of geopolitical scale.
- Effects of globalization on sexuality.
- Alibaba’s globalization strategy: an economic analysis.
🧮 Economic History Essay Topics
- The rapid economic growth of Europe during the Age of Discovery. Analyze the factors that brought economic growth to Europe during the Age of Discovery. What factors contributed to the dynamic economic progress of that time?
- Brazil’s economic history.
- History of capitalism: from the Renaissance to the United States of America. Discuss the origins of capitalism and its centuries-long path towards XXth century America. How the establishment of capitalism impacted the economy of the USA?
- Max Weber: economic history, the theory of bureaucracy, and politics as a vocation.
- 2008 Economic Crisis: origins and fallout. Talk about the 2008 Financial Crisis. Discuss its causes and outcomes. What should have been done differently to avoid the global crisis? Comment on the economic strategies countries used to recover from it.
- The economic marvel of Communist China: from rags to riches.
- What made world economic growth of the Renaissance possible?
- The economic history of Canada: how did the settlers facilitate economic growth?
- What did the major powers of the XIXth century base their economies on?
- The Rothschilds: political and financial role in the Industrial Revolution. Research the dynasty of Rothschilds and how they came to power. What was their role in Europe’s Industrial Revolution?
- The link between the “oil curse” and the economic history of Latin America.
- Roman Empire’s monetary policy: a socio-economic analysis.
- How did the demand for different goods change their value in the 2000s years? Analyze the demand for goods in the 2000s years and their change in value. Why do these fluctuations in demand for products and services occur?
- The history of economic thought.
- Soviet Union’s economic timeline: from the new Economic Policy to Reformation. Discuss the economic issues of the Soviet Union from the historical perspective. Why did the Soviet Union collapse? What improvements in the financial sector should have been done?
- History of France economics over the past 20 years.
- The history of economic analysis.
- The concept of serfdom and slavery as the main economic engine of the past. Dive into the idea of feudalism and serfdom. Discuss its social and economic aspects.
- The World Bank’s structure, history, activities.
- The history of Islamic banking: concepts and ideas.
💫 How to Write an Economics Essay?
Generally, essay writing on economics has the same structure as any other essay. However, there are some distinctive features of economic papers. Thus, it is essential to figure them out from the very beginning of your work.
You might be wondering what those aspects of the economic paper are. Well, we have an answer.
Below, you will find a detailed plan that explains the fundamental concepts of the essay writing process. So, don’t hesitate to use our tips! They are indeed helpful.
Pick a topic and dissect it. Picking the right topic is the very basis of writing a successful essay. Think of something that you will be interested in and make sure you understand the issue clearly. Also, don’t forget to check our ultimate economics essay topics and samples list!
Research it. After selecting the right idea from our economical essay topics, research your subject thoroughly. Try to find every fascinating and intriguing detail about it. Remember that you can always ask your fellow students, friends, or a teacher for help.
Come up with a thesis statement. A thesis statement is an essential element of your essay. It will determine your focus and guide the readers throughout your paper. Make your thesis secure and try to catch the reader’s attention using context and word choice.
Outline your essay. Never underestimate the power of a well-structured outline! Creating an essay outline can significantly help you to determine your general plan. Evaluate which economic framework you will be using to address the issue. State the main points of your thesis and antithesis. Make sure that they answer the central question of your work.
Write your introduction. First and foremost, a practical introduction should capture the readers’ attention and state the essay’s key topic. So, put enough effort to develop an outstanding introduction. It will create the first impression of your paper.
Moreover, an introduction should include a thesis statement. As we have mentioned above, a thesis plays a crucial role. Thus, make sure it is clearly stated.
Another significant feature of the introduction is its coherence with the body of your essay. Consequently, the introductory paragraph’s last statement has to present the subject of the next section, generically. Also, keep in mind that no more than three key points can be discussed in a paper, even if it is an extended essay.
Thoroughly work on the body paragraphs. Usually, the body of the essay contains several paragraphs. The number of these paragraphs will depend on the nature of your question. Be sure to create one section for every critical point that you make. This will make your paper properly-structured, and the reader will quickly get your ideas. For your convenience, we created a plan to develop your ideas in each paragraph, So, use it and make your writing process easier!
- Argument. Present your argument in the topic sentence of the paragraph in a way that directly answers the question. A hint: the most effective way to introduce the critical point is to place the topic sentence at the beginning of the paragraph. This will help the readers to concentrate their attention on a specific idea.
- Comment and discussion. Explain the meaning of your argument and provide an economic analysis. Present clear evidence and persuasive arguments to solidify your position.
- Connection. Link your comments with the vital point of the paragraph. Demonstrate the coherence of your evidence with the point.
- Diagrams, tables, charts. If necessary, provide the reader with visual aids. Sometimes, an appropriate diagram or a suitable chart can say more than words. Besides, your paper will look more professional if you use any kind of visual aids.
Conclude your essay. In your conclusion, summarize and synthesize your work by restating your thesis. Also, it is crucial to strengthen it by mentioning the practical value of your findings. Remember to make your essay readable by choosing appropriate wording and avoiding too complex grammar constructions.
Thank you for visiting our page! Did you enjoy our article and learned something new? We are glad to help you. Don’t forget to leave a comment and share the article with others!
- High School Economics Topics: Econlib, The Library of Economics and Liberty
- Guide to Writing an Economics Essay: The Economics Tutor
- How to Write the Introduction of Your Development Economics Paper: David Evans, Center For Global Development
- Senior Essay: Department of Economics, Yale University
- Developing A Thesis: Maxine Rodburg and The Tutors of the Writing Center at Harvard University
- Academic Essay Writing, Some Guidelines: Department of Economics, Carleton University
- The Writing Process: Writing Centre Resource Guide, LibGuides at Dalhousie University
- Research Papers: KU Writing Center, the University of Kansas
- Unpacking the Topic: University of Southern Queensland
- Economic Issues: PIIE, Peterson Institute for International Economics
- Areas of Research: EPI, Economic Policy Institute
- Top 100 Economics Blogs Of 2023: Prateek Agarwal, Intelligent Economist
- Current Environmental Economic Topics, Environmental Economics: US EPA, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Hot Topics in the U.S. Economy: The Balance
- Share via Facebook
- Share via Twitter
- Share via LinkedIn
- Share via email
You might also like
187 Impressive Higher English Persuasive Essay Topics 
227 Amazing College Persuasive Essay Topics [Free Ideas]
193 Sports Persuasive Essay Topics [with Tips & Examples]
Digging a Little Deeper
Economics, leadership and innovative approaches for education, what makes a good extended essay question in economics.
This series of posts will breakdown the six different components of the Extended Essay in Economics. This first post provides a little guidance on finding a good question and helps you reflection on three key questions… is your topic viable, feasible and personally desirable?
Find a topic that sparks a passion
Choosing a topic that is personally desirable is the essential goal. Choose topic that you’re not interested in, or perhaps one that your teacher suggests and the next 6 months will be a chore. Find something that connects with you personally or links to your community and it will be a far more interesting and rewarding process.
In Economics, we have such a huge range of possible real world focuses. A good first approach is explore implications of a change in policy that might have occured in your local area. This often makes it more interesting, relevant and data more accessible. You might find examples where local councils, government, your school or even technology has created a change. This opens a window where you can compare impacts before and after and see changes.
Suppose your local public transport offered free transport if you travelled before 7:30am to reduce peak. How might this impact ridership and influence travel behaviour?
The trick is finding a natural experiment which connects to some interesting economic theory and to avoid topics which could be too descriptive. Below is a list of possible ideas from a Singapore context.
Is this essay topic even viable?
Before you get carried away your topic you need to carefully consider how you might collect information to answer your question. Some topics might be commercially sensitive and nearly impossible to find suitable data and therefore not viable. Some macro-economic questions are hard to research and isolate the effect of a policy change. For instance did a specific fiscal policy to a change in variable x ? Can you find sufficient macroeconomic data to analyse? The next post in this series will explain more about primary and secondary research in-terms of and EE in Economics.
You also need to avoid topics where you survey people about hypothetical choices or decisions that they are never likely to make. For instance should you survey your parents friends about decisions to buy a hybrid car, or should you find actual potential buyers at the car showroom?
Can I feasible tackle this in 4,000 words?
Some topics are far too broad in their scope to tackle in 4,000 words and some economic theory is too far beyond our IB Diploma Syllabus. Some topics veer into the field of Business Management or Psychology and you would be disadvantaged choosing these as a focus for an Economics EE. Some of these topics would be more suited to a multi-disciplinary approach of World Studies and combining Economics and Psychology.
You also need to be cognisant that this is a project where you should spend around 40 hours. For some topic it would be impossible to survey enough interested people, without giving up your entire summer vacation.
Finding sufficent academic rigour and complexity?
A common issue is committing to a topic which connects to area of the syllabus with sufficient complexity so you can demonstrate your ability to critically evaluate and analyse like an economist. Lots of questions will look too shallow at first but a best technique to test this is to work with your supervisor to tease out the related sub-questions which will guide your research.
Some of these sub-questions will be likely be descriptive (which is ok) but you need to ensure there is scope for sufficient analysis of research and critical evaluation of sources, data and the economic theory. Below are two examples which should give you some ideas. If your sub-questions all seem to descriptive then try find another topic.
Main RQ – To what extent have the French tourism industry and wider economy been impacted by the 2015 Paris Attacks?
- Using data of tourist arrivals compare the impact of arrivals and tourist spending in Paris vs a typical small French town.
- Comparing impact of terrorist attacks on the number of French domestic tourists versus international tourist arrivals
- Comparing the spending patterns of local vs domestic tourists . How much do they spend per day? How long do they typically stay?
- Estimating the multiplier values for tourist spending and how this might differ in Paris vs a typical French town .
- Looking for academic research to estimate the value of a tourist spending multiplier.
- What estimate does this give you for impact on Gross Domestic Product?
- How does this compare to other terrorist attacks, Sept 11 in New York or London Bus attacks?
Main RQ – To what extent does the private car hire industry of Singapore represent an oligopolistic market structure?
- How do we define the ‘private car hire industry’
- Has demand changed overtime, and what factors are driving this?
- Can we classify this market in relation to the characteristics of market structure? To what degree is there perfect competition?
- How are firms using price or non-price competition. Are they able differentiate their product?
- Which firms has gained market share and what is the concentration ratio?
Overall I feel these types of market structure questions are too shallow and often formulaic. However you can easily spin the question slightly to add more scope for evaluation: Perhaps, Should the government attempt to de-regulate the taxi industry to increase the level of competition in Singapore?
Finding a questions that is both feasible, has some viable sources of data and that is personally interesting is tricky, but I hope this helps with the process. Just remember once you commit to the question stick with it !!
Experiment with something a little different
Some of the most intellectually interesting topics conduct experiments or run simulations. If you have read into the work of Richard Thaler and Behavioural Economics you will know that we as humans seldom think and act in rational ways. Because rationality is founding principle of economics where individual supposably maximise utility, lots of our policies, decisions and outcomes are flawed.
There might be areas where you can observe behaviour and look to responses which are irrational. Why do people not save enough for their retirement when they can estimate how much saving they will likely need?
For instance, I have seen students use a rigged Monopoly game to simulate money supply, by introducing borrowing and interest rates. Games and simulations are great because you can repeat them, have blind test groups to test your theory.
Leave a reply cancel reply.
- Already have a WordPress.com account? Log in now.
- Follow Following
- Copy shortlink
- Report this content
- View post in Reader
- Manage subscriptions
- Collapse this bar